SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1998 with a navy blue metallic coat of paint (original). Paint is OK but needs to loose old wax layers and several "greasy fingerprints". My plan is to work over the paint with a chemical paint cleaner followed by paint seal.

Question is: should the paint seal contain blue pigment or not? I have been told that metallic paints have a clear top coat - and now I'm in doubt whether to have a neutral paint seal treatment or use the recommended pigment product. Any ideas??

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all paints have a clear coat finish.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Metallic Paints are Usually Clear coat. Non metallics are usually not.
Suggest talking to a decent Body shop before Pouring Chemicals over a basically Good paint job.. Likelyhood of doing V expensive damage is real.

·
Registered
498 Posts
JacW said:
Got a 1998 with a navy blue metallic coat of paint (original). Paint is OK but needs to loose old wax layers and several "greasy fingerprints". My plan is to work over the paint with a chemical paint cleaner followed by paint seal.

Question is: should the paint seal contain blue pigment or not? I have been told that metallic paints have a clear top coat - and now I'm in doubt whether to have a neutral paint seal treatment or use the recommended pigment product. Any ideas??
Your Blue paint has got laquer over it, 110%.

If you are blowing in a part of a panel, repair the area first....................

Do not spray the whole panel Blue.

Waft the Blue paint away from the repair

Before doing so Scotch Brite the whole panel with a Grey scotch brite with Gip clean.

Mask up.

Blow the repair in.

Rub off with a tack rag.

Paint whole panel with laquer after about 10 minutes.

Leave overnight

T-Cut panel.

And then wax

GET BACK IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND

REGARDS

ROB BEARD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts