SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had a screw welded to the bottom of the clutch pedal in my car. I guess it was probably to adjust how far you can push the clutch pedal. I broke that screw by accident a few days ago. This screw makes a hole in the floor carpet and sometimes stays stuck in it. Now the clutch feels different and shifting is changed. Is it good or bad? Anyway I guess it's bad because the clutch starts to slip. And I think engine power to the wheels is reduced.

Can someone explain what a screw to the bottom of the clutch pedal do? It was soldered in home-made fashion.

I haven't noticed if manual cars all have clutch pedal touch the floor directly or the clutch pedal touch the floor by a kind of pin.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The hell happened here?

Typically, the clutch will depress to a certain point. Usually this is right on the floor or slightly above perhaps. This is the limit of travel in the pedal.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
There si a danger is hyperextending the clutch master cylinder, but with a properly operating setup that won't happen.

My advice would be to get rid of the screw permanently and fix the clutch.

A screw that prevents the clutch pedal from being fully depressed is actually more likely to make the clutch slip, as there'll be pressure in the circuit which keeps the plates slightly loose.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Place a piece of wood, of the same thickness as the length of the screw, under the peddle and try it. If it feels like before, then every thing is fine. Remove it and learn the feel of the "new" peddle. If it now slips then you've changed the movement of the slave cylinder to a point where it doesn't retract correctly. There are several posts, including a very complete excellent one by the mod, that should give you an idea as to how to proceed to slide the slave cylinder back.
BTW I have only seen peddle travel limiters on cars that were apt to be speed shifted. The Saab transmission is a different beast, to be handled with respect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts