SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether the AUTo gearbox has to be re-programmed when we PPc the car. I have a stage 1 program.

D mode really sucks, almost like the stock car unless u mesh the pedal to the floor but the sentronic manual seems ok :nono;

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's an adaptive transmission program, as I understand it. The harder you drive it, the more agressively it shifts. I've had the auto as a loaner many times, and it seems to hold true in my experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
switching between M and D, u realise u have to modulate your throttle, either step more or stop less to maintain that same power/speed of accleration.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Even before the age of computer-assisted autotrans shifting, the need to floor it, or nearly floor it, was present. They used a vacuum-actuated kickdown previously, and the thing would just pretty much lug, even up a hill, until the engine developed enough vacuum to kick the tranny down a gear.

Don't be shy about pressing the accelerator to the floor to force a downshift, it was designed to do that. Not to say that you have to drive around with the car floored all the time, or that you must return poor mileage to garner any performance from an automatic, but just mash it down for a moment, just long enough to actuate a downshift, then let up... similar to the clutching motion in a stick downshift.

The computer makes note of these throttle position changes and the downshift events they produce, and modifies the shifting program appropriately to better match your driving style. Just like the former "snowflake" button would do the opposite- make the shift program very relaxed and conservative for driving during icy conditions so as to avoid wheelspin. The ESP thing has essentially replaced the snowflake button.

So get out there and get on it. Ignore the manual gate for a bit, because while that gives you the idea that you are driving a stick, you are still driving an automatic, just one that is now controlled by you rather than the computer. It does not learn your driving style when you are in the manual gate. That might be your ball of wax, but the computer isn't stupid, and if you drive it like you stole it, it will learn your ways quickly without even diddling around with the manumatic/sentronic mode. Or just trade the thing for a stick if you want to shift, and be done with it! ;)

Personally, I find the manual gate automatics to be pretty slow in most cars like Audi and Saab. The paddle-shifted Ferrari uses a true manual transaxle with a computer/solenoid actuated clutch triggered by the paddles on the steering wheel. You can bang off a couple of downshifts in faster than Michael Schumacher can with a traditional stick. It's about a $10,000 option IIRC, and although many car dealers might say "this car has paddle shifters like a Ferrari" it isn't the same deal by a mile. Makes me crazy to hear that. Automatics are fine for highway-speed passing maneuvers if you floor them, but for all-around driving, they are generally considered to be more relaxed and easy-going... though they are getting better all the time. IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
voodoochile said:
Even before the age of computer-assisted autotrans shifting, the need to floor it, or nearly floor it, was present. They used a vacuum-actuated kickdown previously, and the thing would just pretty much lug, even up a hill, until the engine developed enough vacuum to kick the tranny down a gear.
Ahem...

Some of us old timers even had cars with a bent rod directly connecting the throttle linkage to a dedicated 3-2 kickdown lever on the transmission!

·
Registered
365 Posts
ctrlz said:
Ahem...
Some of us old timers even had cars with a bent rod directly connecting the throttle linkage to a dedicated 3-2 kickdown lever on the transmission!
Weeellll, I didn't want to set the wayback machine too far back! :cheesy:
A friend of mine had an old Plymouth with the pushbuton auto... that was a trip to see. Don't get confused with your pushbutton AM set. Go to change stations and drop your driveshaft.:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts