SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a '96 NG900 with over 250k miles. I never had a bit of trouble with it, but last night, it would not start on me. I checked everything, and everything seemed OK, but here are some things I found:

1. I had a funny noise from the power steering the other day. I took it into a mechanic (not a Saab tech) and he said that it looked like the PS pressure hose had a small leak, and looked like it had been leaking for a while - the reservoir was dry. Was planning on replacing that this week.

2. As I said, last night it would not start. Usually, when you turn the key, you will get a message that says "CHECKING" and then "CHECK OK" on the SID. I did not get that message last night when I turned the key. Dash Lights did not come on either.

3. I checked all the fuses, and the fuse marked "INSTRUMENTS" (15A - No. 17 on the panel IIRC) was blown. Replaced fuse, and still nothing. Checked the fuse again, and it was blown again. Apparently the fuse blows automatically when I try to crank the engine.

A friend who knows nothing about cars says that perhaps some PS fluid leaked on a sensor or on the Alternator and caused a short. What do you guys think??? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Could be, if the PS reservior is dry, the fluid went

Somewhere. Do you have the V6 engine or 2.3l 4 cylinder?

Good luck,

John
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'vert

I have a '96 NG900 with over 250k miles. I never had a bit of trouble with it, but last night, it would not start on me. I checked everything, and everything seemed OK, but here are some things I found:

1. I had a funny noise from the power steering the other day. I took it into a mechanic (not a Saab tech) and he said that it looked like the PS pressure hose had a small leak, and looked like it had been leaking for a while - the reservoir was dry. Was planning on replacing that this week.

2. As I said, last night it would not start. Usually, when you turn the key, you will get a message that says "CHECKING" and then "CHECK OK" on the SID. I did not get that message last night when I turned the key. Dash Lights did not come on either.

3. I checked all the fuses, and the fuse marked "INSTRUMENTS" (15A - No. 17 on the panel IIRC) was blown. Replaced fuse, and still nothing. Checked the fuse again, and it was blown again. Apparently the fuse blows automatically when I try to crank the engine.

A friend who knows nothing about cars says that perhaps some PS fluid leaked on a sensor or on the Alternator and caused a short. What do you guys think??? I'm stumped.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
803 Posts
The best, but also most frustrating and time consuming is to get a multimeter/voltmeter and check all the wiring. It's a lot to check, but it's a surefire method.

I've personally never heard of a power steering leak causing such a short, but after some of the things I've seen these cars do, nothing would be too surprising.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
widuck1 said:
Somewhere. Do you have the V6 engine or 2.3l 4 cylinder?

Good luck,

John
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'vert
[/QUOTE]

I have the 2.3 I4 non-turbo 5-door (no vert) over 250K miles.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A friend who knows nothing about cars says that perhaps some PS fluid leaked on a sensor or on the Alternator and caused a short. What do you guys think??? I'm stumped.
Automotive systems have become extremely complex, it is hard enough for those with a good working knowledge; but there is some potential logic behind what is said by those who know "nothing about cars".
The "no-start" should be broken into two segments
1 no crank
2 no start
If we set up the car just to crank, does the fuse continue to burn out ?
Then the diagnosis can continue
Does the fuel pump operate when the CPS(crankshaft position sensor)
is bypassed ?
What are the ages of the pump and the DIC ?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Hey Catbert. Long time no see man.

My first positng on SAABCentral was on a thread for the rear speakers and you participated on that.

Auto box or 5 speed???
Does the car crank???? Or just blow the fuse when you attempt to start it?
Did you smell any electrical burn smells lately??????

Could it be that your steering pump jammed due to that lack of oil thus preventing the car from starting? Check if any pulleys are jammed by releasing the tension on the serpentine belt.

Also, IIRC, there is a main fuse that says not to replace but to service at the dealer if blown. It could cause similar issues.

With that high mileage any number of things could cause that kind of problems.

It could be either a bad starter, bad ignition switch or even bad wire harness creating a short ciruit. Unfortunately you have to go through the wiring diagram to see what is common between the starter and the instrument panel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow - I get the feeling this is going to get expensive....

Here's what I found out so far,

1. The fuse blows when I turn the ignition on. The car cranks otherwise
2. No electrical burn smell,
3. No othe fuses are blown
4. I double checked and there's no way that there was fluid spilled on the alternator, as they are on opposite ends.
5. I forgot to mention that a couple of weeks ago, the temperature gauge on the instrument panel stopped working. A coincidence, maybe, but I think that whatever is happening, is happening in the instrument cluster.
6. I dont think the pulleys are stuck - everythings moving fine
7. The car is an auto.
8. I am unsure of the ages of the pump and DIC (Do I have a DIC? I have the N/A motor)

Could a short in the instrument cluster cause the instrument panel fuse to blow, and consequently prevent the car from starting??

·
Registered
818 Posts
250K in the snow belt? I'd check all the grounds and

wires to starter, battery cables, etc.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
you said that a mechanic looked at the car fallow the high psi line back from the power steering pump and look at the wiring as it goes in the back by the power steering rack you will also find the field wire for the alternator and the 4 gage power wire for the starter and also the alternator just trace the foot steps of your mechanic maybe he nocked something loose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts