SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Aero wagon is getting a little bit saggy in the rear. I routinely carry 3 people in the back plus luggage over long distances.

I believe I have overloaded the springs to the point that they need to be replaced...

I'm now looking for a suspension that will allow me to haul around the weight better. The cost of a brand new nivomat rear suspension is around $1000.
That is a little pricey but if it works and lasts for 10 years, then it might be worth it.

Anyone have any comments about it?

The car is mostly driven on long trips and very rarely ever pushed hard. I don't want a shock/spring combo any stiffer than the stock Aero setup. Plus, most of those packages end up lowering the car even more.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
What about some Bilstein HD shocks? I don't believe that they lower the car any.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Would the car last another 10 years? WOuld you keep it that long?

I have Bilsteins in the rear and they work well to keep the car from bouncing around over bumps when loaded.

New springs....I have never read a post about them requiring replacement. Perhaps the car is just boucing too much?

P.S. Thanks for the car advice waaaay back, we are now 01' 9-5 white Aero Wagon twins:lol:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the car is unloaded the rear still sits pretty low in the back. I'm guessing that this is because I overloaded the springs.

It's actually not really that bouncy yet. It just sits very low.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Whats a nivomat thingy then :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Oh I thought it was a typo and something to do with Nimo ;oops:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went and bought the Bilstein HD's for the rear.
Only $175 including shipping.

When I get my next paycheck I get the fronts.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
jefspg said:
I went and bought the Bilstein HD's for the rear.
Only $175 including shipping.

When I get my next paycheck I get the fronts.

Thanks for the replies.
You are very welcome. I will most likely buy the HD kit myself come spring since I would really rather not lower my car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ive had bilstein HDs in the front for a few months and just recently got the rear ones on too (admittedly, i also swapped for aero springs all around too), but i can attest to the amazingness they speak of. its leaps and bounds better

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is a shame no one answered your question. I was wondering how the load leveling suspension had worked for others. I have a wagon that I use for towing a small trailer. It sags in the back normally. It sags a lot with the trailer. I put some "spring rubbers" in the back. This helps, but is not perfect. If I could afford it I would get the load leveling shocks. They are different than HD shocks in that they assiste the springs to maintain a constant average ride height.

Does anyone have Nivomats?

Drive Safe,

Joe

·
Registered
740 Posts
$175 for a pair of rear bilsteins HD's including shipping? Where did you get those?
I can only find them for $200+

1 - 15 of 15 Posts