SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 97 900s has a "loose" steering wheel, the wheel moves in and out about 1/4 -3/8 inch, I assume something is loose in their someplace, does anyone have a diagram before I start pulling appart. I do not want the SRS clockspring to go bad, I assume it is in a coupling somplace, I know how the airbag and clock spring comes out, but I believe it is probably in the shaft somplace under the dash?? thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. I posted about it a couple of weeks ago and got a few suggestions. I haven't tried to chase it down since then.

If you figure it out, please post the answer.

As far as diagrams go, what exactly are you looking for? I might be able to send you something. Drop me an email or PM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i recall thier is a bushing in their that can wear, but I thought that was on the older 94-95 cars that had a problem,and not applicable on the 97 and newer, but I was wondering if their may be a loose coupling also. i will check it out this week and post my findings. I was hoping someone had a break down photo or diagram of the column showing any possible spots to look, I know their is the coupling on the U-joint at the floor, is their anyplace else that may let the shaft move besides their and the steering bushing?

thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have never known any steering coupler or column bushing to wear out - unless at the 500,000 mile mark.. I have seen a steering bushing wear down, on an older Jaguar, figured that was simply the typical Jaguar quality in action...

A fair amount of disassembly will be necessary to access these parts, look for a $$$$ repair bill...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think my 97 has some similar loos steering issues. In and out movement seems secure but it seems to have more up and down play than it should. When I go over a bump, it feels like there is something loose. Last night I took of the facia and looked at the linkage but nothing looked loose. In your case, I would look at where the clamp locks shaft, which doesn't look very easy to access.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen the bushing go out on the older 94's and have replaced them but I know they redesigned this bushing on the "newer" 96+ I believe. I guess I will just tear into it and see what I find later this week.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
GaryG said:
I'm not sure, but I think my 97 has some similar loos steering issues. In and out movement seems secure but it seems to have more up and down play than it should. When I go over a bump, it feels like there is something loose. Last night I took of the facia and looked at the linkage but nothing looked loose. In your case, I would look at where the clamp locks shaft, which doesn't look very easy to access.
Assure that the steering rack is well mounted, that the rubber spacers are in good shape.
Even retorque the mount bolts..
I have never seen a steering coupler loosen or wear out - this stuff is really built, on all cars,IMO..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts