SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of using the schematics in 900aero.com, my trusty soldering iron and replacement chips to try to repair an APC box.

Might as well do a Redbox if I'm gonna put in the effort.

Would anyone have a dead Redbox APC they can pass/sell to me?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If you're going to do the mod why don't you use any box, a redbox would be more expensive, but for what point if you're going to mod it yourself.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're going to do the mod why don't you use any box, a redbox would be more expensive, but for what point if you're going to mod it yourself.
I presume that a dead box would cost the same, red or otherwise...

You're right if someone puts a premium to a red box. However, if both red and black are the same, I'd go for the red.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The red box and the black box are the same apart from a few discrete devices, resistors, etc. All the ICs are the same. If you buy a dead box you may be buying more of a problem because it's often an IC that has failed, which can be difficult to identify and more so to source an exact replacement.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The red box and the black box are the same apart from a few discrete devices, resistors, etc. All the ICs are the same. If you buy a dead box you may be buying more of a problem because it's often an IC that has failed, which can be difficult to identify and more so to source an exact replacement.
I have 2 dead black boxes which I can muck around with, but as I said, if I'm gonna put in the effort, I'd put it on a higher-specced box. I'm better in electronics than mechanicals (Shan can attest to that), and through troubleshooting, you tend to learn how it works. Plus I like the challenge of getting it working again....

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I have 2 dead black boxes which I can muck around with, but as I said, if I'm gonna put in the effort, I'd put it on a higher-specced box. I'm better in electronics than mechanicals (Shan can attest to that), and through troubleshooting, you tend to learn how it works. Plus I like the challenge of getting it working again....
In that case you might as well repair and up-spec them. You will end up with a modded red box. The circuit diagrams for the APC are in Aero.com as I'm sure you know. ;ol;

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
In that case you might as well repair and up-spec them. You will end up with a modded red box. The circuit diagrams for the APC are in Aero.com as I'm sure you know. ;ol;
And with a can of flat red aerosol ... You have factory original :lol:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I know. The chips are still available from hobby stores, and the other components are standard, that's why I'm thinking of resuscitating one. Plus a red box (that doesn't flake) looks special...

Anyway, if anyone of you have a dead red box that's being used as a bookend, I'd be keen to give it a go. Lemme know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yes, I know. The chips are still available from hobby stores, and the other components are standard, that's why I'm thinking of resuscitating one. Plus a red box (that doesn't flake) looks special...

Anyway, if anyone of you have a dead red box that's being used as a bookend, I'd be keen to give it a go. Lemme know.

Thanks.
They are rare here on OZ .. but agreed ...would look special .. only razzing u re spray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts