SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I have all the windows up but the sunroof open, I get this loud thumping noise inside of the car. If I crack the window slightly, it seems to break the air circulation somehow and the noise dissapears. It almost sounds like you have a flat tire. I thought this strange on my 99 9-5, but then when I traded in and purchased an 03 9-3, this one did the same thing. Ahyone have a similiar experience??

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
It's a seatbelt smacking against a seat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you opening the sunroof all the way? If you do the one touch open on the sunroof there is actually about 2 inches or so that it can go further back. The reason for it not opening all the way is that you'll have a resonance just as you've described. If you are doing the one-touch open then I don't have any advice, but if you're forcing it all the way open, close it an inch or two. Hope this helps...
~Ryan

·
Registered
155 Posts
check to make sure the wind deflector in the front of the sunroof is flipping up. mine used to get stuck and without it made horrible groaning/resonating noises within the car that i thought was coming from the floor or something.

·
Registered
409 Posts
sphen said:
check to make sure the wind deflector in the front of the sunroof is flipping up. mine used to get stuck and without it made horrible groaning/resonating noises within the car that i thought was coming from the floor or something.
I'm glad you mention this. On my '04 9³, this part gets stuck up and when I close the sunroof, it won't move. The sunroof thinks it is jammed and reverses, so I have to manually hold down this piece for the sunroof to close. Any easy remedy to this or should I let Saab handle it as a warranty item? Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can spray some lubricant on the rails to fix this. I think this is all the dealer will do. I had the problem, sprayed some Tri-flow on the rails and the pivots, and now it closes every time. Wouldn't hurt to mention it to the dealer next time you go in. They might have a software update to help the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ssRyan! I tried the one-touch open which leaves the sunroof open partially than completely open and sure enough... no thud, thud, thud! You are amazing! Its so nice to have a forum where we can toss around problems and there's enough knowledge out there where people can help! This has been a mystery for several years. Even when I test drove the car, the salesman said, "Sounds like you need new tires". So... needless to say he threw in a new pair of tires when I purchased it! ANd to think... it wasn't the tires after all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts