SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving and i saw a leaf get sucked into the turbo intake. After i stopped i lifted the hood and stook my hand in and as i was getting the leaf i noticed there was something metal loose in there. So i lifted it out and out came the guy u can see below. Any one know what this is or what it does? :roll:
the first picture is looking into the tubro intake. The second you can see how it looks as if it was sheared off. The third is the other side. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
firstly, I have no idea what that piece is. Secondly, are you sure that that is the turbo intake? looks like the cabin air vent thingy to me. Also, it it is the thing below the vented section of the bonnet, someone could have just slid it in there thinking "man this is gonna worry this guy when he finds it"
...if this is the case then the fellow was right.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
That tube is for A/C system, if you push in it gets colder or hotter I forget. Don't touch it is for calibrating the system.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Let me get this straight. You pulled over to take a leaf out? Or did I miss read that? I couldnt keep the pine needles out of mine, so I put it in the garage since I still havent driven it since I bought it.:x

·
Registered
966 Posts
Firstly, the opening in the first photo is that of the fresh air intake.

Secondly, the piece of metal is certainly not from that area. It probably just fell in, since the fresh air intake is in the open position when the ignition is switched off.

Just remove the guy and chuck it....

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
That piece of metal is the bracket that holds the flapper door closed, the vacuum motor is there on the other side and there are the rivets that must have broken through the plastic...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
So, what is that white(grey) wire? I have the same in mine and I thought it`s just a piece of an alarm system (dealre fitted) `coz it just don`t look factory in this location and on mine it is cut off at one end... :roll:

Does it really belong to A/C?

·
4,637 Posts
It's not a wire, it's a capilliary tube connected to the expansion valve. There's no connection at the other end. Basically, it's a thermostat sensor which controls how much the expansion valve opens which, in turn, controls how cold the evaporator is allowed to get. Too cold and the evaporator freezes and blocks airflow to the cabin.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
cdaly said:
Basically, it's a thermostat sensor which controls how much the expansion valve opens....
Close.
That capillary tube operates the anti-frost switch that keeps the evaporator from freezing into a solid block of ice. There is another capillary tube for the expansion valve; it wraps around the evaporator outlet to control the refrigerant flow.
In simplistic terms, the expansion valve opens when the evaporator is too warm and the anti-frost (cycling) switch shuts off the compressor when the evaporator gets too cold.

Capillary tubes contain a liquid that expands and contracts to operate either a valve (expansion valve in this case) or a switch (cycling or anti-frost switch). Capillary tubes are often used on older cars to operate the temperature gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts