SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 9-5 2.3t. The "service theft alarm" message has been displaying intermittently for many months. I took it to my local independent Saab mechanic. He replaced the theft alarm with a rebuilt unit that had new batteries. Afterwards, the "service theft alarm" displayed every time I started the car. I took it back, and he told me the problem is that when he installed the theft alarm he programmed it assuming my car had a tilt sensor, but it doesn't, so it was displaying an error when it started up and couldn't find it.

is it correct that a 2001 9-5 2.3t sedan does not have a tilt sensor?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't know anything about a tilt sensor, but this is what I would advise.

Get the old original unit from your mechanic. Send it to BBA. 1-866-573-2740 The rebuild is under $100.00 and is good for life as long as you own the car.

These cars like to have their original equipment installed as certian things are "married" to each other. I don't know if this is the case for the alarm system.

Removal and replacement of the alarm module is pretty straight forward and instructions are available on this site or you can just give it to your mechanic and have him install it. It shouldn't take him more than a 1/2 hour to complete this job.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
It's possible it may not to have one; take the car back and tell him to deactivate the sensor; also tell him to read the DTC's for the alarm it will tell you exactly what the problem is providing he's using a Tech 2.

is it correct that a 2001 9-5 2.3t sedan does not have a tilt sensor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know anything about a tilt sensor, but this is what I would advise.

Get the old original unit from your mechanic. Send it to BBA. 1-866-573-2740 The rebuild is under $100.00 and is good for life as long as you own the car.

These cars like to have their original equipment installed as certian things are "married" to each other. I don't know if this is the case for the alarm system.

Removal and replacement of the alarm module is pretty straight forward and instructions are available on this site or you can just give it to your mechanic and have him install it. It shouldn't take him more than a 1/2 hour to complete this job.
Sounds great, but too late for me. My mechanic has already replaced my alarm unit with a rebuilt one. He charged me about three hours labor to remove the old one and install the new one, plus a few hundred for the rebuilt unit.

It's possible it may not to have one; take the car back and tell him to deactivate the sensor; also tell him to read the DTC's for the alarm it will tell you exactly what the problem is providing he's using a Tech 2.
He did reprogram the alarm unit to say it does not have a tilt sensor and that cleared the display. But I wanted to verify if it is true or not that my car does not have a tilt sensor.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
.......... He charged me about three hours labor to remove the old one and install the new one, plus a few hundred for the rebuilt unit............

I am afraid you have been taken to the cleaners.

THEFTSIREN9-5Make : Saab Part#: 5039086List Price : $ 227.00Your Price : $ 196.00 NEW

Plus 45 minutes to remove and install working with just a floor jack

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The only way to verify is with the Tech 2; have him do the alarm self test; he really overcharged you; I would look around for another shop.

He did reprogram the alarm unit to say it does not have a tilt sensor and that cleared the display. But I wanted to verify if it is true or not that my car does not have a tilt sensor.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I am afraid you have been taken to the cleaners.

THEFTSIREN9-5Make : Saab Part#: 5039086List Price : $ 227.00Your Price : $ 196.00 NEW

Plus 45 minutes to remove and install working with just a floor jack
Its a 45 minute job at my dealer they wanted to charge me 275 installed new unit....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts