SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious before I go on a wild goose chase. :)

I am very, very green to mechanical work. The more I read, though, the more it sounds like a CPS takes the place of a distributor. If my 2.3L non-turbo has a distributor, does it also have a CPS? Wouldn't that be redundant?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Just curious before I go on a wild goose chase. :)

I am very, very green to mechanical work. The more I read, though, the more it sounds like a CPS takes the place of a distributor. If my 2.3L non-turbo has a distributor, does it also have a CPS? Wouldn't that be redundant?
No CPS replaces any distributer, at least with Saab and others, I am sure..
The CPS works on engine crankshaft RPMs; the distributer "reads" camshaft revolutions.
Do some Wikipediaing. I did not know about Gunnars post; this is quite the coincidence...lol...lol..
Also, as I can be obtuse, I think there is a difference in the engine operating systems between the DIC and the distributer, that the CPS has a different role to play...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Also, as I can be obtuse, I think there is a difference in the engine operating systems between the DIC and the distributer, that the CPS has a different role to play...
I'm pretty sure the DIC uses a more electronically controlled ignition control system while the distributor is the tried and trusty mechanical ignition system.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I'm pretty sure the DIC uses a more electronically controlled ignition control system while the distributor is the tried and trusty mechanical ignition system.

That's why there is no way to mechanically adjust our distributor; it's done automatically. The DIC, on the other hand can reduce the timing (3 degrees IIRC) if pinging is detected in a particular cylinder... Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts