SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had 74,000M service. Garage warned battery needs replacing soon. Amazingly, three days later (despite NO previous warning) had a flat battery (despite long runs too!):evil: . Being inquisitive retired engineer I checked volts after jump start and running for 35 mins. Result? 12.40, which seems fairly healthy. Then checked residual current drain with all normal things sweitched off. I found a constant drain of 160mA. Is this normal?? (Bought a new battery anyway.....)

·
Banned
185 Posts
there are several components that are " unswitched " that is when you turn the ignition off they stay hot as opposed to the "switched " ones that are turned off . the security system and anything with a clock built in ( stereo, SID etc ) are good examples. i really don't think that 160mA is excessive or out of the ordinary. Ed

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Johnfwells said:
Being inquisitive retired engineer I checked volts after jump start and running for 35 mins. Result? 12.40
Even dead batteries will eek out 12 volts with no load...eeeerr 160mA. Check the voltage as your cranking it, it shouldn't drop below 10 volts ever. And do it a few times too, a healthy battery should be able to start the car 10 times without any charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts