SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a self-designed performance intercooler and RIP-kit for SAAB 9-5!

Significant advantages with do88 performance intercooler (OEM intercooler):
- Core volume: 11803cm3 (6379cm3), do88 is 85% larger.*
- Air flow at 0,15 bar / 2,18psi pressure drop: 268CFM (192CFM), do88 40% higher.*
- Post intercooler air temperature at same conditions: 32°C (53°C), do88 21°C / 40 % lower.*
- Airflow optimized intercooler pipes with CNC-machined sensor fastenings.
- Special designed silicone hoses with 3-4 layers of armory for optimal fitment and durability.
- High quality, stainless hose clamps.
- Delivered with mounting instructions, screws, washers, nuts and everything necessary for an easy, straight-forward installation.
- CAD-designed, CFD-analyzed intercooler end tanks.*
- Airflow-verified in the SuperFlow SF-1020 flow bench.
- Fits all cars in list below!
* See diagram below.

This intercooler is constructed to deliver the best cooling efficiency during tough conditions. Exclusively manufactured in aluminum with continuous welds, it guarantees reliability and endurance when you really need it. The increased core volume improves cooling efficiency and lower the intake air temperature. Naturally, this being a do88 performance product, we have executed thorough, severe and continuous tests developing this product to ensure best performance. Not one compromise has been made. This intercooler is immensely optimized to the given space for an easy drop-in-fitment.

The 85 % increased and 40 % core volume is an achievement we are proud of. It´s a remarkable difference. Perceivable, to say the least. The engine pulls better all over the revs and withstands repeated full throttle runs without building heat. The perception of an intercooler being something to upgrade only after a major engine tune is false, yet widely spread among customers and car people. During hot Swedish summer days, at repeated pulls, inspired driving or even at ordinary driving in a hotter climate area, it doesn´t take much of an effort from the engine to generate dangerously high inlet temperatures – even on a standard, non-tuned, car. The cooling capacity with an OEM-intercooler is in many cases inferior which will affect the usable power outtake. The heat has to be eliminated, or else the promised output will be decreased as you start giving gas. With our intercooler you can rest assured the power is there, at all times.
The RIP-kit included in this BIG-PACK is manufactured from 2,5 “ extruded aluminum piping, mandrel bent to desired shape. Compulsory for all of our RIP-kits is them being constructed with smooth radiuses, forgiving transitions and as big inner diameter as possible. All in order to achieve as high airflow as possible and reduced pressure drop.

This product comes with everything necessary for an easy installation, without the need for cutting or in any way changing the car´s original shape. Bolts, nuts, brackets and mounting instructions is of course included.

Comes in versions for both types of temperature sensor fastenings and also as a separate kit for the Auto tranny cars.
The intercooelr and RIP kit can be purchased and works with stock intercooler/piping.

BIGPACK, 774 USD.
Intercooler alone, 495 USD.
Pipe kit alone, 361 USD.

Can be purchased directly from us or any of our dealers!
See the Drop-in vs FMIC comparison here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624841

North American dealers:

eEuroparts.com®
http://www.eeuroparts.com

EuroSport Tuning
http://www.eurosporttuning.com

ViVA Performance
http://www.vivaperformance.com

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just to clarify, the IC alone will work with the stock hoses, correct? I'll be ordering from one of your US-based dealers in the near future.

How much does it weigh compared to the stock IC as well as competing ICs?

It would be nice to have a link to the dealer list added to your original post.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just to clarify, the IC alone will work with the stock hoses, correct? I'll be ordering from one of your US-based dealers in the near future.

Correct, I have been using it for a few months with stock IC hoses.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi! Right you are, I have added the dealers in the States. The intercooler fits against standrd hosing as well, so it can be purchased alone.

The intercooler weighs 9,5 kg. The bar & plate core along with cast tanks makes it heavier than stock but it´s well compensated for in performance gain.

Regards
Isak, do88.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks, Isak. Kudos to you for showing your design method and testing results on your site, very refreshing to see things done in a proper manner. Now I need to do some fundraising.

=)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Installed mine back in March (with the stock hoses) and I'm very pleased with the performance and quality even after a brutally hot summer in the California desert!

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is the best plug and play upgrade that any 9-5 owner can do.
I dare to say that it is a must even before stage 1 ECU upgrade.
It is compalsory for anything over stage 1.

do88 company is an absolute professional.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is the best plug and play upgrade that any 9-5 owner can do.
I dare to say that it is a must even before stage 1 ECU upgrade.
It is compalsory for anything over stage 1.

do88 company is an absolute professional.
You are on to something here. Keeping them IAT:s down is a very important to achieve great power.

Regards
Isak, do88.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm curious - if anyone has done this intercooler swap themselves, how long did it take? I do have access to a lift nearby, but wanted to know how much time I should roughly allocate. I will have a helper available.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also did it this year in about June - it took me about two hours using a lift. Great quality equipment, good fittings, good instructions - i do suggest a second pair of hands when sliding the new intercooler into your Saab - getting everything to line up perfectly is difficult by yourself - the ic, condenser, and radiator all fit in a relatively small area - so really get help for that part. its also a tough job if you have huge hands like me.

check out some of the videos and images from this forum and others - for sure plan for a half day. I would not do this job without a lift, you will need your car up pretty high.

good luck!

Paul

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,286 Posts
I also did it this year in about June - it took me about two hours using a lift. Great quality equipment, good fittings, good instructions - i do suggest a second pair of hands when sliding the new intercooler into your Saab - getting everything to line up perfectly is difficult by yourself - the ic, condenser, and radiator all fit in a relatively small area - so really get help for that part. its also a tough job if you have huge hands like me.

check out some of the videos and images from this forum and others - for sure plan for a half day. I would not do this job without a lift, you will need your car up pretty high.

good luck!

Paul

My only source is ramps.... Their the traditional Rhino style ramps plastic. Is it doable this route albeit more challenging?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the intercooler and new hoses last weekend. Took about 4 hours, with a helper. But, we were checking and double-checking things - apart from oil changes and brake jobs, I've not done anything before like this on the Saab. A second pair of hands really helps.

The car feels great after this mod. Really seems to be able to hold boost for longer periods of time. I'm looking forward to moving to a stage 1 or 2 and seeing what happens.

Isak, a couple of things:
a) on the documentation, you have a step where the front grill needs to be removed. I think it'd be worth mentioning that while pressing down on the top two tabs (MY02-05), the grill needs to be pulled forward from underneath the Saab logo, at the same time. I spent a bunch of time pushing down on the two tabs without anything happening. A look at the 'Alldata' website cleared up what I needed to do.

b) In my opinion, the big S hose going from the intercooler to the air intake (left side of the car) needs to be .25 inch longer, on both top and bottom. It seems to have a very tight tolerance - I wanted to make sure the hose covered the flange fully, so that the hose clamp had a good grip.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the intercooler and new hoses last weekend. Took about 4 hours, with a helper. But, we were checking and double-checking things - apart from oil changes and brake jobs, I've not done anything before like this on the Saab. A second pair of hands really helps.

The car feels great after this mod. Really seems to be able to hold boost for longer periods of time. I'm looking forward to moving to a stage 1 or 2 and seeing what happens.

Isak, a couple of things:
a) on the documentation, you have a step where the front grill needs to be removed. I think it'd be worth mentioning that while pressing down on the top two tabs (MY02-05), the grill needs to be pulled forward from underneath the Saab logo, at the same time. I spent a bunch of time pushing down on the two tabs without anything happening. A look at the 'Alldata' website cleared up what I needed to do.

b) In my opinion, the big S hose going from the intercooler to the air intake (left side of the car) needs to be .25 inch longer, on both top and bottom. It seems to have a very tight tolerance - I wanted to make sure the hose covered the flange fully, so that the hose clamp had a good grip.

Mike
Hi Mike!

Thank you for the remarks. We will perhaps add this to the mounting instructions. We will also control the length of the hoses. We have not had any claims on this before, but that doesn´t mean there´s no room for improvement. Fitment should be as good as possible.

We hope you are content with the product anyhow! It is a great upgrade especially fot those warm summer days!

Regards
Isak, do88.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can I use the pipe kit on the stock intercooler?
Yes you can. However, since you are already at stage 1, I highly recommend that you buy the intercooler first and then if your budget allows buy the piping kit also.
The stock 9-5 intercooler is garbage. It heatsoaks even if the car is stock.

With the do88 intercooler you will never think again of heatsoak as an issue. Trust me. I speak from personal experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can I use the pipe kit on the stock intercooler?
Yes you can. However, since you are already at stage 1, I highly recommend that you buy the intercooler first and then if your budget allows buy the piping kit also.
The stock 9-5 intercooler is garbage. It heatsoaks even if the car is stock.

With the do88 intercooler you will never think again of heatsoak as an issue. Trust me. I speak from personal experience.
What he said. :)

Regards
Isak, do88.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts