SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you need to remove the spring to change balljoints? all my balljoints are shot. as well as all the bushings. but I will address that later.

thanks

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
No, just put a spacer between the upper control-arm and the body where the arm passes through the inner fender, This "unloads" the suspension.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I dont need to know how to replace just if I needed to take the springs off first. Thanks again lots of help. Will probably order and change early next week!

·
Registered
424 Posts
An old lug bolt between the upper control arm and the body--one on each side-- worked very well for me to unload the control arms.

Good luck. Not a terribly difficult job. The car is a lot tighter with new ones!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
For a spacer....I found a hockey puck works fairly well.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The metal in that location is does not have a straight top edge. Any flat spacer will crush the metal edge in the centre. That's why the Saab tool has a shape designed to match the shape of the bodywork.

When the edge crushes, paint and underseal are lost which won't help guard against the dreaded driveshaft tunnel rot.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which bushings?
all the suspension bushings

they are 20 years old. I just replaced the alt. bushings and they were so shot. hard as rocks. im sure all the other ones are the same

·
Registered
424 Posts
The alternator bushings live a very "warm" life. Unless they are constructed out of different material to account for the engine/alternator heat they must absorb, I'd say that the suspension bushings might be expected to last a bit longer.

That said, 20 years of use has prolly extracted most of the usefulness out of them......:cheesy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts