SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a classic Saab 900 16v convertible (1992), non-turbo. Which turns over but doesn't fire. After playing around with a few things I'm convinced the fuel pump isn't working (battery good and fuel pump relay working). Also I can't hear the pump when the engine is cranking and there is no smell of petrol in the exhaust pipe.

I've managed to source a second hand working pump which I'm going to attempt to swap this weekend. It looks like I can get the pump out of the tank with a bent bit of metal (as a make shift tool). But does anyone know if the tank has to be off the car before I do this?

Thanks for your help

Anthony

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Remove the floor in the back , look for a shiny disc about 6 inches in diameter LHS , that is a manhole for the fuelpump ... pop it out and the rest becomes clear ..

The tank does not get touched .

Hopefully one of the things you *played around with* was testing for spark ... If you have not then you are most likely replacing a very serviceable pump .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was unable to test for a spark since my socket set seems to wide to get the plugs out! Is there another way to do this or do I need to first get a custom saab spark plug remover?

I'm hoping it is the pump since there is no pump noise, the pump relay works and there is no smell of petrol in the exhaust pipe after several cranks. Probably not a 100% safe diagnosis but I've got my fingers crossed.

Thank you very much for you help.

Anthony

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
As Aussie says it's under the metal disc under the boot floor. You may have a struggle to undo the large internally ribbed cap that seals the pump into the tank. It does become stuck sometimes and you have to wallop it round with a piece of wood. There is a tool available but you can normally manage without. The pump assembly is sometimes a fiddle to get out of the tank and you sometimes start to think it won't come out, but there is a bevel one side at the bottom that allows it to clear the tank lip as you withdraw it. Good luck. It's sometimes a PITA to fit a pump unit into the pump assy housing, unless you've sourced the whole assy. And you may need some 6mm fuel hose and clip as the nylon hose is not always possible to reuse if fitting pump only. You don't need a bent piece of wire to get the pump assy out.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I was unable to test for a spark since my socket set seems to wide to get the plugs out! Is there another way to do this or do I need to first get a custom saab spark plug remover?
Unplug the high tension lead going into the centre of the distributor & lay it somewhere near the body. Crank the engine & have someone see if spark jumps from it.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

I'm hoping it is the pump since there is no pump noise, the pump relay works and there is no smell of petrol in the exhaust pipe after several cranks. Probably not a 100% safe diagnosis but I've got my fingers crossed.

Thank you very much for you help.

Anthony
It is not 100% ..its not even 1 % ...its safe .... but its a useless diagnostic

You will never hear the pump ...IF YOU DON'T HAVE SPARK ,,,

Safety system in these cars ... NO SPARK ... NO POWER to pump ... NO power ? NO NOISE !

Again I say it ... you are wasting time and money skipping a spark test .

Have you looked in the toolkit under the boot floor for the Plug removal tool ??
IF you cant get the plugs out ...

THEN ..
Disconnect Any Plug lead ... put any old spark plug in it ... and sit it with a small gap to a metal surface in the engine bay ... CRANK THE CAR and look for spark ...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Thanks again guys. Going off to get a test spark plug now. Presumably if I do get a spark at the plug then the fuel supply would be the next thing to test?

Cheers
Anthony
Instead of getting a "test plug" get the correct size spark plug socket! Only a couple bucks--you will need to own this at some point...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The OEM spark plug box spanner that was standard in the 900 toolkit had a rubber insert to trap the spark plug so you could lift it out. It also incorporated a smaller 10mm socket in the other end to fit the spark plug cover plate. If you don't have one in your 900 toolkit, get one.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
It also incorporated a smaller 10mm socket in the other end to fit the spark plug cover plate. If you don't have one in your 900 toolkit, get one.

fits a lot of other 10mm bits too lol, how many have I chucked away

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Try hitting the pump or top of tank or bottom of tank quickly with a rubber mallet or your palm or something and starting. Usually a dead pump will work if you do this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.