SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Jody said:
Wouldnt that just be for the heated seats?
I think he is referring to the button on the inside of the heated seat buttons with an image of a seat and fan on them. The buttons are the A/C and Recirculation buttons on the MCC, however, on the ACC unit they are blank.

I think I remember a previous post on here that the car was originally going to offer them as an option, but that they were scrapped because of the additional cost.

The only way you're gonna get ventilated seats in a Saab is to get a 9-5.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
black_linear said:
I think he is referring to the button on the inside of the heated seat buttons with an image of a seat and fan on them. The buttons are the A/C and Recirculation buttons on the MCC, however, on the ACC unit they are blank.

I think I remember a previous post on here that the car was originally going to offer them as an option, but that they were scrapped because of the additional cost.

The only way you're gonna get ventilated seats in a Saab is to get a 9-5.
Cost cutting GM... BOOO!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
schernov said:
Cost cutting GM... BOOO!
Maybe, maybe not.
This may have been an option waaaay in the beginning, and then something seriously major fell through (like a failed FMVSS test) & was not able to be included.
Or marketing decided no one would pay extra for this option so it wouldn't be value added.
Or it was a glitch/mistake in the work manuals.
Could be lots of things. Only Saab & the seat manufacturer know for certain.

It is interesting though, because the HVAC unit is unique to this car, and that button has no other purpose, on any other model, anywhere in the world. I imagine the decision to remove it was quick, and painful. Makes me wonder if it will appear later, perhaps after bugs have been worked out (if that was why it was yanked) like in an upscale sport-combi or something.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Interesting drawing. Since we got our '03 with ACC and the blank buttons I had always assumed that Saab was planning on making vented seats an option, but for another model year, in order to save some features that perhaps aren't 'necessary' but are nice options that could tempt someone to trade-up or give dealers/Saab more gizmos to feature in advertisements.

It's too bad the 9-3 still doesn't have 'em. The new Lexus IS debuting in the fall will (they might be cooled, not sure if vented).

Living in Texas vented seats are a nice feature to have in the summer. I really liked them in our 9-5 as they kept my back and shirt dry. Our Infiniti has cooled seats, and, while okay, they just aren't the same as vented, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
On a hot day, there's nothing like vented seat. I had a chance to drive 9-5 on a hot day and boy did it make a huge difference. I'm surprised that more luxury car don't have this feature. BTW, I think they can double as fertility device.;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if we can get some parts off 9-5 and retrofit it into our seats with an external switch - would be nice.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Also of note: the connector (passenger anyway) is absolutely humongous. But only about 15% of the pins are used. There's much more room for electrical expansion, both in the connector & the conduit of wires going to the seat.

I also know that packaging ventilation, heating pad, PODs A or B, and comfortable seating surface while still being sporty is a challange. Makes me wonder as well, the seats (passenger anyway) are due for a design change because of a law that dictates all passenger seats must have occupant detection in them by model year 2006. Ours has occupant detection, (occupant present or not) but the next system is smarter, and categorizes the occupant based on weight, feeding that info to the airbag circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts