SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I made my throttle body spacer, and when i was putting everythign back together, I replaced some vacum lines, well when I pulled the line off the pcv nipple (the straight side that goes to the throttle body) that little piece broke. So for now I just plugged the VAC line that goes to the throttle body so I dont have a vacum leak.

My question is, do we really need this line going back to the throttle body? I mean it also vents back into the intake, and with all this talk about oil catch cans I will probabaly do one as well, But do we really need the PCV to vent to both places, especailly since while under boost it is only venting to the intake and not the throttle body.

Is it just for emmissions reasons?

And If we can get rid of it, that is a perfect extra vac/boost tap off the throttle body that can be used for a boost gauge....couldnt we even put the MBC tap there, i know its under the throttle plate, but does it really matter if the MBC sees Vacum when the throttle is closed.

Just some thoughts, if indeed we do not need that line to throttle body, its gets rid of that check valve and its just one less line needed under teh hood.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
No, its not needed cause when people do the TD04 upgrade there is no oil return line back to the intake like with the t25, so what people do is just put a breather filter there instead...eric did this back in the day and i know a few others who have also.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
There is some discussion on this in one of the td04 upgrade threads. Its okay to put a filter on there. The filter may get too much oil in it and start to smell like burning oil after a while. But jsut change it once ina while and you're fine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know we really dont need it....And I am really talking about the line to the throttle body, not the one to the intake, It's just weird that it vents to 2 locations

·
Registered
328 Posts
i'm pretty ignorant on the PCV topic...

...i understand how/why the system does what it does, but i don't know why it's so effing complex in the stock form. and i'm sick to death of all the updates and "fixes" from saab. I really like what Nate G did (pics in the recent td04 conversion thread) with the catch can... but can i get away with this setup on a T7??? i really want to do that mod and just rip out the whole rest of the stupid system (plugging all the holes of course), but i'm probably way off base.

i've searched around but nothing definitive. and of course the search for "T7 catch can" throws out "T7" and "can" :confused: :roll:

·
Registered
464 Posts
On mine Wyldeman I put a breather on the largeer nipple and kept the smaller nipple with check valve installed to stock location,so under boost,the check valve shuts and it can vent through the filter,then under vacuum,it will pull the fumes through the check valve and some will still vent to atmosphere through the filter.I haven't heard any knock or detonation and that filter doesn't even get soaked with engin oil so I think everything is o.k. with this setup but the catch can may give a little more safety margin in terms of keeping oil out of the throttle body to prevent effective octane diminishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts