SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quote of $155 to tint my 9-3 with life time warranty from a shop with good reputation. They guy installed my cd changer in my previous car about 4 years ago...good guy. He said that he will take all door panels off and tint the whole window so it does not run the rist of getting pealed off by the rubber gaskets, etc....

.....well I am not really keen on having the doors taken apart....

Do all shops do that or not? Can you get a good tint job w/o taking the doors apart?

·
Registered
366 Posts
as long as they know how to take the panels off and put them back on correctly I would prefer they remove the panels. when they apply the film of tint they typically lower the window down and as them are putting the film on they raise the window back up. generally the door panel can grab dust in the air or specs of dirt that will in turn make there way btwn the film and the glass. Also be sure to inquire about the felt strip that our cars require to prevent scratching.

what % are you going with? also what brand film to they use?

I had 35% maddico lifetime on my a4 and loved it, I think I'm gonna go with 20% on the 9-3

·
Registered
609 Posts
Make sure that they do take the doors apart! That way they can apply the felt strips as JPUConn is talking about. Otherwise you will end up with tiny vertical scratches on the film. It's really not a big deal to take off the panels. I just did it this weekend when I replaced my door speakers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
schernov said:
I got a quote of $155 to tint my 9-3 with life time warranty from a shop with good reputation. They guy installed my cd changer in my previous car about 4 years ago...good guy. He said that he will take all door panels off and tint the whole window so it does not run the rist of getting pealed off by the rubber gaskets, etc....

.....well I am not really keen on having the doors taken apart....

Do all shops do that or not? Can you get a good tint job w/o taking the doors apart?
Schernov,

Where are you getting your tint done? Indianapolis by any chance? I'm getting mine done this week at Wax Works on 82nd street - was wondering if you were using them as well. We've had good experience with them in the past, as they've done our tinting on 2 previous vehicles as well. It would be interesting to see if they have the know how to install the felt on the device which appears to be creating vertical scratches on other 9-3 owners tints.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCSaab said:
Schernov,

Where are you getting your tint done? Indianapolis by any chance? I'm getting mine done this week at Wax Works on 82nd street - was wondering if you were using them as well. We've had good experience with them in the past, as they've done our tinting on 2 previous vehicles as well. It would be interesting to see if they have the know how to install the felt on the device which appears to be creating vertical scratches on other 9-3 owners tints.
No, I am near Chicago by the lake :). I think he uses 3M film. As far as %, I will be goint with 25-30%, which is legal in IN. I had that on my other car (which was blue), and looked nice. My other car had slightly lighter tint (grey car) and that was good as well. I dont want to look like a Limo :)

I am going to call all surrounding SAAB dealers around. i want the dealer to actually take in the car for the tint and then if they do subcontract somebody - that's fine......but just in case something happens, like a broken door panel - they would replace it.....I will let you know what I find out.....ANYBODY IN CHICAGO USED A DEALER TO TINT WINDOWS?

·
Registered
533 Posts
yes, it's better for sure that they remove the panel, got 50% front and 30% rear and back, (here , legal is 70% for front)

I just ask my dealer the cost of that when I pick up the car and where they do this. He told me 450$ and give me the name of the place. A call them and they do it direcly for 175$...and they do few Saab a week so they know how to do this thing!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer told me that they do take the door panels off to tint the windows. Mine came with dark tinted windows, so it wasn't an issue. Anyway, they told me that they take the panels off in order to tint the whole window. Apparently Saab's windows go deeper into the door panels and if they take it aparrt they can tint the whole window which reduces scratches and peeling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts