SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 95 900 SE turbo that is out of town and all I have to go on are pics. One of the pictures of the engine show the headers and they look a little rough to me...almost rusty. I've read that parts of the engine run red-hot so maybe it's normal. I don't know how the pic will look on this forum but I would appreciate it if anyone could take a look at the following pic and let me know if the header looks normal.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The exhast manifold looks fine. It's made of cast iron so it will eventully rust a bit.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Looks normal to me . Man has yet to formulate a paint that can survive exhaust manifold heat...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, Having not seen the car I'm a little nervous. I appreciate your help. Now I just can't wait to get out there and see the car in person and drive off into the sunset...

·
Registered
867 Posts
If the manifold is too rusted, you can wire brush it and then paint it with naval jelly. I did this to my 1997SE and it ends up looking like you painted it an off white. You can't get to all the manifold surface unless you take it off the car and I didn't think it was worth this level of effort.

·
Registered
328 Posts
just thought i'd give you a vote of confidence in long-distance car buying! i bought my saab through another saab enthusiast website, flew from NC to MI to pick it up, and drove it home. 25,000 miles later i still can't get the stupid grin off my face!! :cheesy: :cheesy:

if you haven't already, i'd recommend making phone calls to the shop(s) where the car has been regularly serviced, and having a dealer run the VIN to see what parts were replaced under warrantee (i know they can do this for 9-3s, i assume they can for 900's as well!). and of course service records etc. best of luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts