SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems mine retracts slow compared to all my other cars. All my other ones would pop back into place once you let go of it, this seems to crawl back, passenger and driver side.

Would this be replaced for free because it is a safety issue?

·
Registered
562 Posts
The seatbelts in my 9³ actually retract (very) fast.
Try cleaning your seatbelt strap, any dirt or wear would obstruct free movement.
Or you may have an issue with the seatbelt retractor (reel).

·
Registered
485 Posts
robhurlburt said:
It seems mine retracts slow compared to all my other cars. All my other ones would pop back into place once you let go of it, this seems to crawl back, passenger and driver side.

Would this be replaced for free because it is a safety issue?

same problem here....first time i noticed that was about 10k km at main service....co-driver seat.

now the driver seat starts to do the same thing.......
next service to dealer will include the check of seatbelts and the driver seat that is squeaking when i move a bit inside the car....:roll:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There was a safety recall on these (certainly in the UK) due to the inertia reels not retracting the belt properly.

This was taken from the UK Vosa Recall website http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Make: SAAB
Model: 9-3
Build Start Date: 01/10/2003
Build End Date: 01/10/2004

Concern: SEAT BELT MAY NOT RETRACT
Description: The front seat belt retractors may malfunction, with the effect that the spooled out portion of the webbing will not retract.
Remedial Action: Recalled vehicles will have the front seat belts replaced.
Vehicle Id: 00000000031000001 to 00000000041019218

The same was true in the US IIRC - I'd check with your dealer to see if yours had the recall done. If not they should do it FOC.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
JBob said:
There was a safety recall on these (certainly in the UK) due to the inertia reels not retracting the belt properly.

This was taken from the UK Vosa Recall website http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Make: SAAB
Model: 9-3
Build Start Date: 01/10/2003
Build End Date: 01/10/2004

Concern: SEAT BELT MAY NOT RETRACT
Description: The front seat belt retractors may malfunction, with the effect that the spooled out portion of the webbing will not retract.
Remedial Action: Recalled vehicles will have the front seat belts replaced.
Vehicle Id: 00000000031000001 to 00000000041019218

The same was true in the US IIRC - I'd check with your dealer to see if yours had the recall done. If not they should do it FOC.
Exactly.

I remember my 03' retracting faster and more smoothly after the replacements were installed.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The Seat Belt Retractor is one of the three actual recalls on an 03 93SS...it's mandatory that the dealers replace the originals.

·
Registered
248 Posts
really... i assumed it was supposed to be like that. just bought an 03 9-3 arc the other day and the seatbelt retracts really slowly. are dealers required to perform the recall for free even if the car is out of warranty?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
meph said:
are dealers required to perform the recall for free even if the car is out of warranty?
Yes they are, it is a true "Recall", not a Service Campaign or TSB. It is Mandated by the NHTSB, Warranty has no bearing.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Mine 03 arc just started to do this also. it is OOW. I've called saab about it and they said my VIN was not affected by the recall, as the recall was VIN specific. SO, saab will not pay for it.

I've started the paperwork with the NHTSA, hell no am I paying for something that is a key safety feature of a car and should be covered by the manufacturer for the defect whether the car has 10 or 100,000miles.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
rabbit said:
Mine 03 arc just started to do this also. it is OOW. I've called saab about it and they said my VIN was not affected by the recall, as the recall was VIN specific. SO, saab will not pay for it.

I've started the paperwork with the NHTSA, hell no am I paying for something that is a key safety feature of a car and should be covered by the manufacturer for the defect whether the car has 10 or 100,000miles.
It is true the Recall was VIN Specific, after a certain point the flawed, or as you say "defective" retractors were not used. The Second generation is not subject to the recall. Your case will probably come under "wear and tear". IMO filing with the NHTSB is more of a disgruntled customer complaint.

just my .02

Edit: The original issue was that the belts would not retract to snug up on the belted driver/passenger creating a safety issue. just slowly retracting belts after you've removed them was not the issue.

·
Registered
411 Posts
same problem dealer wont cover mine. Its already upgraded with the same stupid problem.

So i have the upgraded seat belts and the upgraded gas cap and both are diffective. I love this world.

·
Registered
248 Posts
JonV said:
edit: The original issue was that the belts would not retract to snug up on the belted driver/passenger creating a safety issue. just slowly retracting belts after you've removed them was not the issue.
ohh mine's just when it's retracting. i see :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Had the seat belt recall done a couple years ago, and now the driver's side is not only slow to retract, most of the time it won't retract at all. Nor will it "snug up" correctly when I am wearing it. The dealer quoted $600 :eek: to replace it. Now, I know that I already had the recall done, but if the new ones are developing the same problem, I don't think I should have to pay for this.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hmmm, so I pulled the repair order from back in early 2005 when I had the seatbelt recall done. It states that the two part numbers used were 12760074 (LH) and 12760075 (RH). On my repair order from when I got into an accident later that year, the part numbers for the replacement seatbelts were 12800615 (LH) and 12800616 (RH). These are the current part numbers listed on thesaabsite.com as well. Did the new part numbers just replace the old numbers (as Saab seems to like to do)?

Edit: In doing a search, I came across a post by Nimisys (a Saab tech in San Diego - is he still on the boards?) that said "the defect was internal and only manifested it self in locking up or fraying the belt edges". My new belts are fraying at the edges. :(

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Despite what Nimisys says, this is the NHSTA recall....

Make / Models : Model/Build Years: SAAB / 9-3 2003-2004
Recall Number: 04V226000 Summary: SOME SPORT SEDANS WERE BUILT WITH SEAT BELT RETRACTORS THAT WERE DAMAGED DURING THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS. IF DAMAGED, OVER TIME, THE AUTOMATIC TENSIONING SYSTEM (ATS) CABLE IN THE SEAT BELT RETRACTOR COULD BREAK CAUSING THE BELT WEBBING TO NOT RETRACT. Consequence: IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, A FRONT SEAT OCCUPANT MAY RECEIVE MORE SEVERE INJURIES. Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SEAT BELT RETRACTOR ASSEMBLIES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 24, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SAAB AT 1-800-955-9007. Notes: SAAB RECALL NO. 15017. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

In your case I would seek satisfaction from Saab USA or the refional Service Manager....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is there enough evidence that the recall wasnt successful?

I noticed that both my front seatbelts were not retracting fully or quickly and when worn were not fastening up as they should. I phoned the main dealer, who then checked with Saab (on 2 spearate occasions) and they say that i have had the recall already and that they will not re-due it FOC! I tried using my after-market warranty on this and they said that they dont cover seatbelts as that is classed as part of the body of the car :evil:

How many of you who had the recall have now experienced the same problem again? if there are a lot of us with the same issue, cant we take this to the regulating odies and state that the "recall" was not effective... (who replaces a faulty product with an equally faulty one?!) :nono;

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Although the NHSTA recall had been takin care of, I just had the whole Drivers Seatbelt assembly replaced under CPO for that reason, slow/partial retraction.

·
Registered
485 Posts
greekfragma said:
same problem here....first time i noticed that was about 10k km at main service....co-driver seat.

now the driver seat starts to do the same thing.......
next service to dealer will include the check of seatbelts and the driver seat that is squeaking when i move a bit inside the car....:roll:
dealer said i was OOW and to replace the seat belts system will cost me approximately 350euros......jeezz......:eek:

i am up for any cooperative action we can do to get this issue fixed.

i ll keep an eye on this thread

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just got my driver's side belt replaced due to slow/almost no retracting. The original recall campaign was done long ago, and in fact those belts were replaced with new ones after an accident a couple years ago. So the belt that went bad was only about 1.5 years old. My insurance company warrantees all work and so I was able to get the belt replacement covered through them. Otherwise I think the dealer quoted me $600 parts and labor. :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts