SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an alignment with winter tires, which are the same size as the summer ones.
Do I have to update the alignment?
I would think not but have never done this before so wanted to ask. THanks!!!!!

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would only get an alignment if the winter tires were wearing abmormally or if the car pulls to one side or the other. If the air pressure is too high, the middle of the tread will wear first. If the tire pressure is too low, the edges of the tire will wear first. Wearing on only one side is a sign that you need an alignment, but don't forget that most shops will only adjust toe-in/toe-out, and can't do caster/camber adjustments.

I've changed ball joints on cars (an trucks) and never had an alignment done because I counted the number of turns it took to get the old one off, and I just screwed the new one on the same number of turns. I got 100,003 miles on the Firestone tires on my 2001 4wd Sierra and 125-k miles on 3 of 4 Michelin M/S tires on my old 1987 Silverado. Except for running over a piece of rebar, one of Michelin tires only saw 100-k miles... Ron

·
Registered
220 Posts
Answer original question: no. not unless you have sustained damage or the replacement of other steering related parts since the previous alignment... or if you notice the steering wheel is aimed left or right while going straight, that's always a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it was aligned before getting the winter tires so it should be all set.
thanks for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts