SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for new tires so I'm going to pull the trigger on the 18x8 Rial Nogaros on Tirerack. As for the rubber, I'm temped to go with summer tires and put snows on my current wheels for the cold months. I do have a truck which I take out in bad weather.

Now, are summers impractical?
- I drive 30,000 per year and the treadwear ratings are half of that on all seasons. I don't want to be paying up big bucks all the time for new tires.
- Will my mileage get hit? I'm expecting to take a loss with either due to the 235 width opposed to 215 on the OEM size. Makes sense with the extra rolling resistance.
- Will I really benefit from the extra traction? I'm enticed by the extra grip in cornering. I've got the stock 2.0T and don't ever launch it because in my opinion the stock clutch doesn't feel like it can take it (feels tuned for comfort over performance.) I'm strongly considering the Spec stage 1 clutch.

Also, how come some performance summer tires have only an A traction ratings while some all seasons have AA? Would an AA all season perform better than than an A summer?

I've been eyeing the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport as a summer option because it is priced nice and has a good wear rating but the traction rating is A.

For all season I've been eyeing the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season. It's got a AA traction rating. Reviews praise it as a great all season tire, but go on by saying it doesn't replace the performance of a summer tire.

Thanks for any insight, opinions, or facts you can provide.

·
Registered
271 Posts
With you driving so much you will be replacing your summer tires once a year if not sooner.

Are you driving the car hard and sliding it through corners? Are you autocrossing the car?

I would go with an all season if you don;t drive your car to the edge of its performance routinely. The 235 width with provide better grip and the stiffer sidewalls will provide better handling.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Compared to the stock Pirelli P6 4 Seasons with a 215 width, gas mileage did not suffer with new tires. If it did, it's less than 1 mpg, not 2.

I've heard that Eagle F1 All Seasons are noisy. I have Eagle F1 Asymmetrics which are very quiet.

Since you are in Massachusetts, I would recommend getting snow tires. Snow tires give you extra traction when it is cold, not just in snow. If you have snow tires, you might as well get summer tires. One could argue for all season tires in the summer and snow tires in the winter since there are sometimes warm and cold spells in April and May.

Some summer tires have a traction rating of A, not AA, because they are of an old design and tested by the government when the highest rating was A. Getting an AA would require re-testing. Another reason is that the tread gives less than AA traction in wet, straight driving. Tires with A sometimes have excellent dry traction when turning but not so good wet traction.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'd go with a good all-season. Summer-only tires would probably be overkill for a daily driver. Now, if you're talking a Lotus Elise that you use only on the weekend or at the track, you'd want summer-only. I've found a set of good all-season and a set of winter tires (if needed) is the best setup for every-day cars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fmr12B said:
With you driving so much you will be replacing your summer tires once a year if not sooner.

Are you driving the car hard and sliding it through corners? Are you autocrossing the car?

I would go with an all season if you don;t drive your car to the edge of its performance routinely. The 235 width with provide better grip and the stiffer sidewalls will provide better handling.
It would be all spirited street/highway driving. A lot is asked from the front tires due to FWD and steering. With the stock P6's, it doesn't take much to get the front end to break loose. I am definitely considering a highly rated all season as a nice compromise.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave 37 said:
I've heard that Eagle F1 All Seasons are noisy. I have Eagle F1 Asymmetrics which are very quiet.

Some summer tires have a traction rating of A, not AA, because they are of an old design and tested by the government when the highest rating was A. Getting an AA would require re-testing. Another reason is that the tread gives less than AA traction in wet, straight driving. Tires with A sometimes have excellent dry traction when turning but not so good wet traction.
I've searched the F1 Asymmetric and they seem to be highly regarded. Good wet traction too. That's a good point about the A rating instead of AA due to wet performance. Seeing that I drive a lot on highways with deep troughs worn in due to high truck volume, I'll need tires that can clear water.

Might be a nice option if I go the summer tire route.

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sptsdn said:
I'd go with a good all-season. Summer-only tires would probably be overkill for a daily driver. Now, if you're talking a Lotus Elise that you use only on the weekend or at the track, you'd want summer-only. I've found a set of good all-season and a set of winter tires (if needed) is the best setup for every-day cars.
I almost bought a Lotus Elise. Back then I was single and living in a sweet place in Boston. Now I'm married living in the burbs...nevermind!

I catch your drift. Why bother putting the summers on if I'm not not going to use them the way they were intended. Valid, but sometimes is nice to have something completely unnecessary. Though the lifespan on the all seasons might have me sold. I don't want to drop $900 on tires once a year.

·
Registered
868 Posts
if youre driving your car only when its warm, get summer tires. if youre going to drive it when its cold (snow or no snow), get all seasons.

normally a summer tire will wear through quicker than an all season but a good summer tire will last long enough that you wont wish you got all seasons instead. plus if youre driving 35000 miles a year youre going to want good tires anyway

·
Registered
846 Posts
I run summer tires until the first snow, then i put the snow (winter only) tires on till it's not going to snow again.

Tires last me a long time because i only run them when needed. - You get the best of both worlds, all season tires suck in the winter. - (my opinion) and summer tires are make the car funner to drive than all season in the summer.

I also have two sets of rims, so it's a little easier to change.

·
Registered
289 Posts
With 235 width, winters in the winter are the only option.

Run all seasons, the treadwear being better will also lessen the rolling resistance improving fuel economy, or lessening the impact of the wider tires.

·
Registered
96 Posts
All Season = No Season

I can't wait to get rid of these POS P6s. I loved BFG Sports on my Focus, I hope they are that good on this car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your on the fence you can pick an all season tire that leans more toward performance, such as the Eagle F1 mentioned. The Tire Rack lists seven such "Ultra High Performance All Season tires" for the 2006 Aero. Your just going to be trading a little performance/grip for insurance in cold weather and light snow. And hopefully they last a little longer than summer tires. Living in CO I stayed away from full summer tires as many manufacturers recommend not driving on them in freezing temps or below and here the weather can be 70°F one day and 30° the next.

I bought the BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S tires last year and can't wait to pull off the sluggish snows.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I have Conti Extreme Contacts purchased through Tire Rack. These are all season tires. Installed at 21k miles. Car now has 59k miles. That's 38k miles on the tires, which I will probably replace before next winter. That will give me double the life of the Pirellis that came with the car.

When last I looked Tire Rack was unbeatable. Bought the tires through them and paid a local shop $120 to mount, balance, and dispose of the old ones. He charged me $25 for M&B plus $5 disposal fee per tire. This may be a little high, but the shop is walking distance from my house. Plus the guy has a beard straight out of an old ZZ Top video. That's gotta be worth a few extra bucks right there.

·
Registered
868 Posts
ctrlz said:
I have Conti Extreme Contacts purchased through Tire Rack. These are all season tires. Installed at 21k miles. Car now has 59k miles. That's 38k miles on the tires, which I will probably replace before next winter. That will give me double the life of the Pirellis that came with the car.

When last I looked Tire Rack was unbeatable. Bought the tires through them and paid a local shop $120 to mount, balance, and dispose of the old ones. He charged me $25 for M&B plus $5 disposal fee per tire. This may be a little high, but the shop is walking distance from my house. Plus the guy has a beard straight out of an old ZZ Top video. That's gotta be worth a few extra bucks right there.
ill vouch for the contis...i took off the 16" p6's and threw on 17" conti sport contacts and they are noticeably better than the pirellis.

only cost me 80 bucks total to have each tire mounted and balanced on my 17s , and the tire pressure monitors swapped in and have the old tires mounted back on the 16's after the monitor swap :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
id go with a performance based all season with that amount of driving.

ive got the yokohama AVID W4S (ultra high performance all season) in 235/40/18 and they are great in wet and dry, not so great in snow. road noise is quiet and the grip is awesome, but these probably arent the tire for you - id stay away from any "ultra high performance" all seasons.

Tire Rack offers "performance" all seasons, that might be the first category you look for. you will get a durable tire that should last a great amount of mileage but that isnt going to let you down on the performance side in normal spirited driving.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank's everyone for your comments. I think I've decided to go with all seasons. We have 4 months of cold and snow and another 2-3 months with some cold days mixed in plus frequent freezing temps at night.

When I read this article at Tirerack, it made it sound 'dat dem fancy Europeans are smarder 'den us Americans. ...and maybe I was missing out on something of greatness. Summer tires are special order at most tire shops after all.

"For the most part driving conditions are different in Europe than they are in America. Europe's narrower roads, higher highway speed limits, twisting roads, and winter weather require that more emphasis be placed on precision and handling than do most American roads. Because of this, European cars come from their vehicle manufacturers equipped with "summer" tires and are fitted with a set of four dedicated winter / snow tires when the weather requires. Dedicated tires for each season."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMakeModel=Pirelli_P6000_1

It seems that people have good things to say about Continental's. Also, searching around I've found that the Bridgestone RE960 AS PP is a well liked tire though not available in 235/40/R18. It is available in 245/40/R18. In the specs, the width isn't any wider then the 235's however it is 0.2" taller than the stock tires. I don't think that would be too big a deal since my speedo reads 3MPH slow, plus I'll shave that tread off within the 1st 6 months.

The Goodyears are priced nice and come with a $50 rebate. I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This may be a stuipd question, but I'm looking at the tires you have on tire rack and they are rated at 91W rather than my cars recommendation of 93. the load index are as follows 91's being 1356 pounds and 93's being 1433 pounds I don't know alot about tires is this a big deal?

ctrlz said:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I've got all seasons and they are fantastic for my situation...however if I had two sets of rims it would be summer and winter tires all the way. My car is used for business and I can't see getting two sets of rims for it.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Ridenbaugh said:
This may be a stuipd question, but I'm looking at the tires you have on tire rack and they are rated at 91W rather than my cars recommendation of 93. the load index are as follows 91's being 1356 pounds and 93's being 1433 pounds I don't know alot about tires is this a big deal?
My 2005 owner's manual says one of the permitted sizes has a 91 load. It's a matter of tire reserve. My summer tires are 97! My snow tires are a mere 93. Nokia makes some snow tires with 94 in sizes that fit my car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
Cmdr_DASh
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing