SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted yesterday about discovering how my 2000 9-3 has the 4 speaker system instead of the six there are connections for a speaker in the empty mount for the 6 speaker system will I need an amp to install some drop ins?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Yes, you'll need an amp. The stock head unit doesn't put out enough power to drive six speakers. If you find a cheap stock amp and cable, it's very easy to hook up since the power and speaker wires are already there. If you go with an aftermarket amp, chances are it will be too big to fit in factory spot, and you'll have to do some splicing of wires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you'll need an amp. The stock head unit doesn't put out enough power to drive six speakers. If you find a cheap stock amp and cable, it's very easy to hook up since the power and speaker wires are already there. If you go with an aftermarket amp, chances are it will be too big to fit in factory spot, and you'll have to do some splicing of wires.
So your saying If I can find a stock amp for the 6 speaker system it would be easy to switch them?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Yep, that's right. The amp plugs into the power and speaker harnesses that are behind the passenger side kick panel. You have to run a DIN cable from the amp to the head unit. Then you hook up some speakers, and everything should work.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
^ Like Crispin said. If it's gone, there's a bunch of people parting out their cars in the For Sale section and many probably still have their amp. Sold mine for $15 to a forum member so don't let them rake you over the coals :cheesy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently upgraded my 4 speaker to 6... I can't even stress how much difference a new deck makes from the stock, sound and function. I thought about just doing what I needed for door speakers, but if you are serious about an audio upgrade just go out and spend the money on all the pieces

1 - 9 of 9 Posts