SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
certain gear changes on my aero are pretty difficult when the car has just been started, 1st and 5th in my mind being the main culprits. however once the car has been driven for a while and all the fluids are up to temp the changes become alot slicker.

The car has had 2 clutch changes, so im guessing 2 gearbox oil changes through out its life, the most recent one only a couple of thousand miles ago. So its certainly not a problem of the oil being old and needing changing out. I dont know what type/grade of oil my saab garage put in there.

With this in mind do you think that id benefit from moving to a fully synth gear oil? would it make a difference to gear changes when the oil is still cold? and dare i ask! what weight of fully synth should i go for!?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't just use any synthetic oil. There have been many reported cases of regular synthetic oil put in the SAAB gear box causing problems. Use either dino 10W30 or SAAB gear box synthetic oil. When I had the 9k's I always do dino 10W30 or 10W40.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks yaofeng. ill have to really find out what is in there at the moment! i should be popping down to my garage at some point this week, so ill try and remember to ask!

alot of people on another uk saab forum seem to be running amsoil fully synth trans oil and are raving about it! anyone on here use it in their 'box?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had the Amsoil trans fluid (75-90) in my 900 gearbox for 20K miles, and it seems fine - shifts nicely at any temperature and no changes. I suspect this is the oil that the folks on the other forum are using on their 9000's. But Amsoil on their website has no Amsoil product recommendation for the 9000 gearbox. There have been consistent warnings on this forum against using synthetic motor oil in the 9000 gearbox; I've never read what the problem is, though. Folks who want a sythetic lubricant in the gearbox are using RedLine, or something similar. I'll bet the Amsoil gear oil is something similar. Actually, I've never read any complaints about dino 10-30 motor oil :eek:.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Mobil One 10w-30 works well, I've been using it for decades.

I've fixed a lot of 9000 Transmissions, and have never seen a problem using Motor Oil; synthetic or otherwise. I've also never seen any advantage to changing the Oil or using fancy Oils.
I suspect people detect a problem and change the Oil (usually with something expensive), hoping for improvement. Then they blame the eventual failure on the Oil.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The reports have been of losing fifth gear after switching to synthetic oil. However, it may be that switching to "gear" oil is the main problem.

The non-expert "theory" is that the engine oil spec'd by SAAB has the viscosity characteristics to allow it to splash all through the gearbox properly. The main issue I have is why change from SAAB's recommended lubricant? The factory fill with engine oil should last the life of the car. Early 9000 boxes had no drainhole.

Transverse transmissions have relatively low loading on the gear teeth, especially the final drive, compared to inline drivetrains so do not need gear oil to protect them.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
The main issue I have is why change from SAAB's recommended lubricant? The factory fill with engine oil should last the life of the car.
The only reasons to put new Oil in are:
A refill after a repair
Your used car has an unidentifiable substance in it, put in by the last owner

These Transmissions are remarkably insensitive to the lubricant for the reasons stated by Superaero. Also because the Ring Gear at the bottom of the Case does an excellent job scooping up the last bit of Oil in your leaky old Gearbox, and flinging it where it will do some good.
As I said, I suspect the Oil gets changed at the first sign of trouble. The threads usually start with "It's been hard to get into [pick a gear] lately so I decided to change the Oil...."

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not changing the gearbox oil is one thing that really bugs me. I have a 1990, so I don't even have the option. Every time I change the engine oil I get the urge to change the gearbox oil. No drainplug?? WHY!?!?!

All I want is to change the oil... Even if it doesn't need it. ;oops:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
thanks yaofeng. ill have to really find out what is in there at the moment! i should be popping down to my garage at some point this week, so ill try and remember to ask!

alot of people on another uk saab forum seem to be running amsoil fully synth trans oil and are raving about it! anyone on here use it in their 'box?
I've been using Amsoil transaxle 5W-30 oil for years with great results. Suggest you give it a try, just drain and add same amount back in, fully mixes w/ mineral oil. Do not use anything 'gear oil' 75w or such as that is not what your gearbox was designed for.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Not changing the gearbox oil is one thing that really bugs me. I have a 1990, so I don't even have the option. Every time I change the engine oil I get the urge to change the gearbox oil. No drainplug?? WHY!?!?!

All I want is to change the oil... Even if it doesn't need it. ;oops:
Use a hose and suck it out.

Agree not changing is fine, however after 10 years this may change and cost is slight.

In my case I'm pushing 300hp through a box designed for 225, and spend a fair bit of time on tracks and at WOT on the autobahn. with this type of abuse it would be foolish not to change the oil to 1) the best stuff out there and 2) from time to time as it gets real hot and is a way to get rid of debris, which does occur. I know many similar hard users that also follow this logic, cheap insurance compared to replacement/rebuilding.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks kevin. May i ask if your running a heavier oil than normal in your engine with that state of tune?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The automatic transmission on my new Jaguar is sealed for life.

Resist that temptation to change the oil in a transmission just because you think you need to.

Contamination by foreign objects is the number one cause of transmission failure short of manufacturing defects or driver abuse (not really feasible for a driver to abuse a modern computer controlled automatic) and this cannot happen if the transmission is not opened up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts