SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just put some Akebono pads on my 2001 Aero. The new pads now have 500 miles on them so they should be bed in. I just noticed that on the rears only half of the rotor surface is cvlean and the other half is rusted as though only half of the pad is providing braking. You can see in this first picture. I don't know why this is this way. Could something be wrong? I took a pic from the back side of the caliper. On the second pic you can see how on the tangs on the pads that only the inside pad tang is over the recessed area of the caliper and the outside pad the tang is outside of the recessed area of the caliper. Is this correct?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are the spring clips on correctly? They don't look to have been clipped underneath the extending lug on the caliper, they should have been a bit of a struggle to fit, the easiest way seems to be to locate in the holes and then using a screwdriver, lever them over the lug.

That might explain the uneven wear.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention that this same condition exists on both the left and right rears. I also have an 06 that I just crawled under to check the spring on the rear pads is as I have it on the 01 and they are the same.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
What did the rotors look like when you put the pads on. The amount of rust and wear looks like there could have been a problem prior maybe? They might just need to be cut.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
i have a similar problem with mine (an 08), but the pads and rotors are less than 4 months old and have few miles on them. the car has been sitting for a week, but after a 350 mile drive recently they looked just like yours.
i live in vermont where they use ridiculous amounts of salt during the winters and am starting to wonder if the rear pistons are seized. "in a house" is not particularly specific; do you think this might be a factor with yours?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
instructions said pads would be bed in from normal driving of 400-500 miles. Done 450 so far. Fluid is maybe 2 years old.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
Google for proper brake pad bedding. You need to heat them up enough to leave pad material on the rotor. If new rotors at least you wan't have to clean off the old rotor.

Bedding the pads will allow the EBD to work. Something you might not see in daily driving or in heavy moisture or road salted areas.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine were like that with Pagid pads front and rear for about 500 miles and seemed to settle in by then. I was starting to worry, but the wear area slowly grew. The springs look fine; the rears don't have as pronounced a tab for the springs to sit behind. I'm sorry, but have no idea what else would be causing this. How does the car brake?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know rotors aren't cheap, but if you're replacing the pads and if you aren't sure of mileage on the rotors, it's never a bad idea to do them all while you're there. Putting new pads on old rotors that look like that seems like a bad idea to me.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Mine were like that with Pagid pads front and rear for about 500 miles and seemed to settle in by then. I was starting to worry, but the wear area slowly grew. The springs look fine; the rears don't have as pronounced a tab for the springs to sit behind. I'm sorry, but have no idea what else would be causing this. How does the car brake?
Mine did the same thing for 500 or so miles were fine after that

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
pic of sprng
Those springs appear to be installed incorrectly. In fact, I can't see the machined edge of the caliper ears that the springs are to be snapped behind!

Did someone grind off the extreme ends of the caliper ears to make spring installation easier?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What looks to be incorrect about the spring? On the rears on both my 2001 and 2006 the rear calipers don't have any edge or ears that the long part of the spring snaps behind like on the front pads. I am assuming only the fronts have this. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
867 Posts
What looks to be incorrect about the spring? On the rears on both my 2001 and 2006 the rear calipers don't have any edge or ears that the long part of the spring snaps behind like on the front pads. I am assuming only the fronts have this. Am I wrong?
They look right to me.
And all pads should have spring from what I know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts