SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Ive got a Saab 900s convertible. Lovely sunny weather recently but below 14 degrees i freeze my n*ts off.

I looked in all the usual places but im b*ggered if im gonna pay the best part of £200 for a folding shield thingy.

So im off to B&Q to make one for under £50.

The frame will be pine (whatever wood ive got in my garage), maybe with a bit of 3mm ply as corner stiffeners.

My question is...
do i need a perforated screen?
I could get some perspex or 3mm plastic "stuff".
Would not this be warmer and better visibility through the rear view mirror?

I get that the horizontal bit that covers the rear seats.
Fairly critical to reduce the cyclic feedback of cooold air i feel on my elbows and back of neck. Easy to do that bit.

But should the virtical section be perforated?
perspex would give me good vis. but will it scoop air?
Is it better to have a perforated screen that allows some air to get through and not create too much of a scoop?

Ive scoured the web, and cant believe im the first person to think he can build something like this for cheaper than is on E*bay.
But need a little user feedback to get it right!

Ta
S

·
Registered
818 Posts
I found a used Saab windscreen for a hundred bucks

when I had my 1997 900S and it fits my 2002 9-3 as well. The vertical part is indeed perforated so I think I would go with that too. I think it's done that way to reduce how strong the thing would have to be if solid. With perspex you got a big sail back there,

Good luck with your project,

John

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can do two things:

a) Look in eBay for used originals, I did and yesterday picked one up for 150 euros Original SAAB and in perfect shape..

2) This one is a clone of the original, installs in the same spots and looks quite ok..for 169 euros..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

ta for the posts.
The E Bay link still comes out at £150 ish so Im thinking DiY is the way to go.

Using Perspex might scoop as much air as it deflects so perhaps a perforated screen is the answer.

I had a browse on the web and there is loads of stuff out there but its tricky to work out how fine the mesh should be for appropriate level of wind deflection and visibility. The frame itself wont be hard to knock together.

Im going to get a fellow Saab'er at work to show me his but if i get too impatient i might just nip down to B&Q.

·
Registered
116 Posts
the Saab part is worth the $$$

I know it's expensive, but wow what a difference it makes. the Saab one is perforated on the screen behind your head and on the screen that covers the rear seat area. I don't know that it needs to be perforated there, but behind your head is absolutely necessary to be perforated - really heavy winds will blow mine down (only happened 3 times in 4 yrs).

With the wind screen up, you can talk to your passenger, and you're not buffeted by wind from behind. Leave the top up, Roll the windows down, even at 50 F and it's really not that cold when the screen is up.

The Saab screen is engineered very well - and trust me, it was a rough pill to swallow on the cost, but I've never been sorry since I put it in that very first time. Oh, and it fits in the trunk rather well with it's nice leather cover too, the pins that hold it in the car collapse to fit in the cover pouch.

Good luck either way you go.

Smitty

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks smitty

you might be right.

I had a look at my mates one at work.
Youre obviously right about the perforated bit.
Anything I made would need that.

My mate said he has seen 2nd hand ones on e bay for £50.
Id pay that.
Does anyone here have one they want to let me have, even a little worse for the wear?

If I cant find one in that price bracket Ill have to consider my options.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will this 9-3 fit my 900s?

hi

I found a few on E Bay but they are for the 9-3.
here is one

Do you think I could make it fit my 900s 1997?

S

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think there are 2 different ones

check these out - it looks like there are two different windscreens - based on what i'm seeing, i doubt it. I have the one for 99-03...

This one says 2004 +
http://www.patrickaccessories.com/productdetail.asp?ProdId=1340&mcid=2&cid=219&scid=274

This one is 99-03 (9-3/900/9000)
http://www.patrickaccessories.com/productdetail.asp?ProdId=1434&mcid=2&cid=215&scid=248

my sense is that the measurements across the seats or in the rear seat somwhere are different, so it probably won't fit. Sorry :cry: - keep looking though. I waited like 6 months til I found one...

Smitty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ayop, im about to try making one,i think Im first gonna try just making a cover from leatherette to cover the back seat, as on old sports cars, maybe some small bungee type things to pull it tight. im gonna try it without the upright bit, from what i can make out, if you aint got the rear seat creating a pocket there shouldnt be much blowback from the vacuum effect. Its worth a try and i wont lose much if its U.S. Im not gonna pay 150 quid either

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh b*gger she's dead!

Nice idea about the bungees.
Saw a merc 2 seater with something with the virtical bit stretched across the back of the front seat head rests. I agree about the horizontal bit. That will no doubt make a difference.

BUT... on the way home today... big clattering noise under the bonnet... an hour on the hard shoulder and a tow to my local garage.

Verdict. Engine is gone. Not economically repairable.

Im creating a seperate post but anyone that wants my 1997 saab 2l s virt without engine could make me an offer at [email protected]

Bodywork is tip top. Cream leather inside.

Its a crying shame. Loved this car.

S

·
Registered
38 Posts
I personally spent the extra $50 and got a Windblox windscreen off of eBay. With my job, an hour of work is more valuable than making a windscreen and saving a few bucks. I think the lexan works a lot better than the mesh, anyway. That sucks with your car, though. What was the problem with it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not sure but it seems pretty terminal. im asking around on this forum etc just to see if it could be something reletively innexpensive to fix,,, but it seems more likely that a new engine or engine rebuild would be required.

I need a car for work so it looks like im gonna have to fork out more cash.

Shame, the Saab has gorgeous lines and bodywork. Loved the hood, the smell of the leather when i got in and the paint is far better than the new (ish) car i got my wife recently.

if there is anyone out there with the knowhow, there is a beautiful car here just waiting to be snapped up.

S

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would love to see the hand made wind deflector if you ever make it, it sounds horrendous. Perhaps you you re make the bumpers out of chipboard to match.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aah Sarcasm. How constructive.
Horrenous?
Im actually pretty handy at building stuff in wood.
A steamed wood frame with mesh stretched between, or I saw some 4mm lexan polycarbonate on ebay for under £20.00

What is horrendous is the mark up on the wind deflectors for sale online.
Its an after market luxury item the companies are only too happy to fleece you for.

I enjoy the problem solving aspects of DiY design. It doesnt always work but I learn something every time. And sometimes it does work very well.

But hey, you go ahead and get your credit card out if it makes you happy;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Aah Sarcasm. How constructive.
Horrenous?
Im actually pretty handy at building stuff in wood.
A steamed wood frame with mesh stretched between, or I saw some 4mm lexan polycarbonate on ebay for under £20.00

What is horrendous is the mark up on the wind deflectors for sale online.
Its an after market luxury item the companies are only too happy to fleece you for.

I enjoy the problem solving aspects of DiY design. It doesnt always work but I learn something every time. And sometimes it does work very well.

But hey, you go ahead and get your credit card out if it makes you happy;)
Yeah, sorry, that was a cheap shot and totally uncalled for. I guess I envisaged it being of the quality of my own woodworking skills. In mitigation, I had just come back from the pub. ;oops:
Good luck with your project. I must say that the picture above does look better than the Saab item.

Shinns

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
been there.
nothing like a bit of spontanious surfing after the pub.
its nearly as bad as calling ones wife:eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
V nice Waq.
Did you use Lexan poly? Looks 3 or 4mm to me
Does it shimmer and flop about in the wind?

Cheers
S

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cheers, its 2mm, just wobbles slightly sometimes. The cover needs a bit more tinkering , the backdraft pushes it down so could do with some rigid stuff glued under it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks very nice.
Ive been given an old bit of Acrylic with a smoke tint.
Currently looks like a dodgy bedhead as its still got the scummy old anti scratch paper on it but i tried it out (on my MGB) on the way home and it made a real difference.
I noticed that wind does get underneath it from the back though, so more tinkering here too.

If i get it working properly i was thinking of getting a nice mg stencil on it somewhere, and perhaps speakers!:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts