SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody removed their turbo and cleaned it up. I.e. Is it possible to dismantle the turbo or just possible without much dismantling to ensure the bearing and bearing oil paths are clean.

My assumption is that even with an oil cooled and water cooled jackets around the turbo centre section, coking of the oil channels/bearings is still possible. (especially when I dont know how the previous owner treated the car - A shine on outside, doesnt mean a shine on the inside)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Handling turbo internals requires some skill and finesse once you start looking at the bearing it'll re-balancing too.

As far as routine maintenance goes try this...

... allow a cool down period after EVERY drive! if like me you're lucky enough to have 2 sets of gets to lock and unlock then the turbo gets exactly this about 90 - 120 seconds under little or no load but water and oil is coursing through it allowing to cool down, remember if you cane your car, pull up then turn off though the engine has stopped the turbo is coming down from 200,000+rpm this is how the coking occurs [if you knew this, sorry, but someone may not know so...] best practice is to be in the habit of allowing the engine to idle for up to a minute after pulling to let things settle, combine this with frequent oil changes and the turbo should outlast the gearbox :eek:

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I've never done it and it's still lasted 185,000 or so miles so far. I have run some crankcase flushes but that's about it besides keep clean synthetic in it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There are three things that you can do to prolong the life of your turbo.

1. good clean oil
2. good clean coolant
3. clean air

1 - 4 of 4 Posts