SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all of this:



And a stock delivery pipe:



I would need to get the GS elbow, or mod the existing one.


The only downside that I can see is that the GS elbow is 3" and my tubing is 2.5" The various fittings could be taken off the stock one and JB welded. I have done that on several other fittings that see boost with good success.


Thoughts?


















More thoughts...

I must be a crackhead. I don't even have the car yet, and I already have GS engine and tranny mounts, and big silly plans for a delivery pipe.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
my GS elbow is 2.5''. Maybe they changed it. If they did change it, just call and I'm sure they could help you out with the 2.5', it is easier to bend than 3.''. You could make it work without the elbow, but for a 100 bucks, why not get a nice chrome piece?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
the gs elbow is 3in and not worth it unless you are getting a bigger turbo or have the rest of the pipe 3in aswell.


thats what i had a few months ago, i just needed to change the pipe a little to make it fit better but that gives you an idea.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
JONNY72888 2nd said:
the gs elbow is 3in and not worth it unless you are getting a bigger turbo or have the rest of the pipe 3in aswell.
you prolly missed it in the banning shenanigans, but that car has a b234 swap with a gt3071 making about 400ish bhp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
saabkid37 said:
you prolly missed it in the banning shenanigans, but that car has a b234 swap with a gt3071 making about 400ish bhp.
oh, then yes get the gs one, i have it and when i went from the stock pipe to the 3in one you could really tell on the topend. spool was slowed by about 200rpm but i think well worth it. witht he bigger pipe you will have more air in the pipe at all times so as the rpms climb the boost will not drop as fast but it does take longer to fill the pipes to start off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
saabkid37 said:
you prolly missed it in the banning shenanigans, but that car has a b234 swap with a gt3071 making about 400ish bhp.
I do run 100% orig T5 piping with 500bhp+:lol:

But since this has also been a topic in the past "what good does the big pipe and bend bring" I will test it as soon as I can find somebody to lend me those parts for a few days. Some claim smoother power delivery, I say poor mapping for reason, since I havent found my "stuff" being unsmooth with the orig pieces, nor do the datalogs with accelration curves which I have posted numerous times point it out either, so I suspect into that area it wont affect a dime.

Flow gains? Dont know of that either since after all there arent too many GT3071 cars, even with big *** piping which do put over 450whp. Last time around [email protected] was the result on the rollers with no sign of "fade" prior to rev limiter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has the Koni Kit, poly bushings and a GS RARB, along with the rack clamps and whatnot.



I'm 1/2 way there for the 6pt subframe brace. That's all it needs as far as suspension goes.


I may try the pipe just for laughs in a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Palmer1980 said:
I may try the pipe just for laughs in a while.
try a set of cams, if you wish to further increase the bhp and extend the power band to higher revs.:cheesy: I could imagine that with the piping you will be "trying to locate the gains", but with a set of cams the only trying you will be doing is keeping the grin from reaching from ear to ear.
In my case the affect was
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/dyno500_vs.jpg
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
My GS throttle body bend is 2.5'' I'm 100% positive. I even measured it. I have full 2.5'' piping and its an exact match. Did they change it to 3'' at some point?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a nice gain from cams!


They are not really one of my goals right now though.

I just have the tubing, and thought "why not"?


I'll see. I'm sure this will be enough to keep me occupied for a while.


:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,857 Posts
Vigge said:
I do run 100% orig T5 piping with 500bhp+:lol:

But since this has also been a topic in the past "what good does the big pipe and bend bring" I will test it as soon as I can find somebody to lend me those parts for a few days. Some claim smoother power delivery, I say poor mapping for reason, since I havent found my "stuff" being unsmooth with the orig pieces, nor do the datalogs with accelration curves which I have posted numerous times point it out either, so I suspect into that area it wont affect a dime.

Flow gains? Dont know of that either since after all there arent too many GT3071 cars, even with big *** piping which do put over 450whp. Last time around [email protected] was the result on the rollers with no sign of "fade" prior to rev limiter.
I know you are the test master, why not test the 2.5" pipe with a 3" elbow and put all this to rest? I would venture to say, you will make 455whp with the larger pipe and elbow and if you had the larger tb, maybe 460whp...
Prove me wrong already...!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,140 Posts
Andy,

Ask Nick if he has any of the "old style" T5 TB elbows. They were made to fit 2.5" ID couplers, so you might be golden....


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good call Mike, I'll have to see about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,857 Posts
I like the silicone elbow Mike has, I think that might be the better way to go as it has been shown that the plastic and slicone are less prone to heat soak than the stainless pipe.

On the new 3" elbow from Nick, I think he now makes a larger tb that is 70mm and not the 64mm of the stock one. So a 3" elbow with a larger tb plate, might be worth a shot!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really?


I thought that was for the SS, not the 9-3.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top