SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after replacing my control arms, tie rod ends, strut mounts, taking apart the whole suspension system, the knocking sound Ive had for about a year is STILL there :evil: . Unbelievable. The last thing on my list is the strut itself. My shop said they would install it for me and are letting me get the strut insert.

Now, two things. Any specific strut insert I should get? I will probably order from eeuroparts since they only take a day to get here. Second, since this is a strut insert, doesn't that mean that they do not have to take out the whole strut? It can just be replaced from the top correct? I really dont feel like paying someone else to do something that I could do. Unfortunately I have a limited amout of tools here at home but if doing a insert replacement is easy I will definately do it. Anyone have any instructions for this? Either I am doing the work myself or my shop is doing it thursday.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Given that you know for certain that the hydraulics are "soft", go ahead and replace the inserts, as I have many times on the VWs, but never on a Saab - this appears to be a very similar design..

All must be pulled , the spring must be compressed and the "body nut" (this is what VW uses) must be removed..
Maybe Haynes would assign one of their silly 3 or 4 wrenches to this task..
If I were 20 again - a 20 minute job with good air tools..
Maybe 40 to 60 minutes, per side for the whole task.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the only thing they mean by insert is that you dont have to buy a whole new housing.

Ive taken out my whole strut and compressed the spring, but that was at the shop at school where I had tons of tools and air. I really can't do that here at home, so it looks like the shop will do that for me.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After looking real quick on eeuro, the Boge shocks are over $120, while the KYB shocks are $47. I got KYB shocks put in the rear.. and Im pretty sure these are decent shocks but I wonder why they are considerably cheaper. Any other brands i should consider? Im trying to keep this cheap but decent quality.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
sethsev7n said:
I guess the only thing they mean by insert is that you don't have to buy a whole new housing.

Ive taken out my whole strut and compressed the spring, but that was at the shop at school where I had tons of tools and air. I really can't do that here at home, so it looks like the shop will do that for me.
Be thankful for that - some makes, at least at one time, forced the owner to buy a new housing assembly - this did not go down very well !

I used a hammer and punch on the VW "body nut", and I had to reuse it !!
I believe you can install the rebuilt** unit at home.
Hope you have a torque wrench...

Check carefully for rust at the tower..

**new bearings, rubber and hydraulics

·
Registered
215 Posts
Be careful with the KYBs. I also have rear KYB shocks but they are the white "Gas-A-Just" shocks. Those are nice and firm, but the only KYB shocks that are made for our front suspension are the GR-2 strut inserts. These are much softer and I have heard from some people that they are easily damaged and leak oil. I would suggest maybe the oem Sachs brand which came from the factory. Goodluck!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks tiger, i also have the white gas a just ones in the back, and yeah those seem real good.. I will look into other shocks for the front.

·
Registered
215 Posts
DO not go for the Monroe shocks! They are cheaply made and should not be put in our Saabs! If you are looking for cheaper replacements, just go for the OEM manufacturer, Sachs.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
I used Bilstein Touring Class - said to be 10% stiffer than stock. Got them last year for around $95.00 per at stopshopanddrive.com. Very nice.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saaboheme said:
I used Bilstein Touring Class - said to be 10% stiffer than stock. Got them last year for around $95.00 per at stopshopanddrive.com. Very nice.

Just picked two of them up for $87 each. Very good deal i say. They also have alot of other really cheap parts, like strut mounts, for #34, instead of the list $116. I would bookmark these guys.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
The KYB GR-2's are fine. I have them and have had them for a year and a half. KYB doesn't make gas adjust struts or strut inserts. Tirerack is the cheapest place for them, in case anyone wants to try them.

Trust me, they are PLENTY STIFF!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have just had Bilstein shocks fitted last week and I love them, but funnily enough, I now have a very loud knocking on the front left-hand side if I turn sharp right. I've just had a poke about, both with the suspension hanging down with car jacked, and with suspension jacked up with car on axle stands, and couldn't find anything obviously wrong with it.

However, what I did find is that the left driveshaft makes a very loud clunk if I push it towards the gearbox, which I reckon could be the noise I am hearing.

Have you checked yours?

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
Yepper, $87.00 per sounds good. I like 'em. Would rather have Koni or top-end Bilstein, but I still refuse to lower the daily driver and reckon these are a darned fine compromise on the stock springs. Easier on the old checking account by a pretty fair piece too. Where did you pick yours up, if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The gas-a-just struts are not adjustable, they are just called gas-a-just. They are white and are much firmer than gr-2s. The reason I said to stay away from the gr-2s was because I used to have them on my 325i and they leaked after a few months. Maybe their quality control has increased but I only speak from my own experience. Good choice on the Bilsteins though! Goodluck!

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Didn't realize anyone thought they were adjustable. I don't know, at least on my saab, they've been great shocks and struts. I've put at least 60-70 k miles on them. Firmed things up a lot. Maybe too much for my delicate bottom.:cheesy: Like my Kuhmo Ecsta 711's, they were a great purchase for the price. I bought all 4 shocks and struts for about $140 or $150. Either way, shocks and struts alone aren't going to get rid of much in the way of roll. My swaybar tinkering did 100 times more for my ride than replacing shocks/struts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I guess I got a bad batch then. KYB is a pretty good brand, but it is funny how they dont make matching front and rear strut/shocks for our Saabs. Next time I need to replace my shocks, I'll put the Gr-2s back on my list. Thanks for the info bkrell!

Lawrence

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Yeah, but like I said, it's not just OUR saabs, they don't make gas-adjust struts/inserts period! The GR-2s are supposed to be softer but wow, they are pretty stiff! At least compared to the Boge struts I replaced!

I'd heard about the leaks from someone as well, but I tried them anyway. So far, so good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts