SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After having polished my car i noticed that my trim had a white residue on it, which can come from either polish or wax. There are many people who recommend buying wax blaster or other professional products and then there are those who recommend peanut butter and a tooth brush. The method i found was to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do. You can pick this up at Safeway, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, and various other places.

All you have to do is dip the magic eraser in water and then rub along the areas where the white wax or polish residue is. In some cases all it takes is a single wipe to take it off, but in most places for me it took around 6 seconds of back and forth scrubbing to cover a distance of 4 inches(by the way this was set in for over a month). Doing every piece of trim on my entire car only took around 15 minutes. Be sure to wipe the area with a towel or better yet a microfiber cloth after you use the magic eraser, because it can leave white water marks or little shavings of the eraser behind. I used a total of 2 magic erasers to clean every piece of trim on my car. Each $5 pack comes with 4, so you can get at least two full cleanings out of a pack. Usually this polish or wax buildup can be prevented by using tape, but a little bit always manges to find its way in. I would recommend avoiding your car's paint as you scrub, but i never touched it so i wouldn't know what the effect is.

Before and after photos are included below. ( i left some residue on side of after photo to compare)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqD-OKQW4I

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Nice, lately I have been fixing this problem with some back trim coat but it just looks awful when it rains (runs down the side of the car). So I'll give this a try.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use a toothbrush. Make sure the trim is completely dry so you dont get fooled by water covering the wax. Move in circular motions, and the job will be done!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I considered using something that restores blackness, but why cover up when you can remove? Then it is stock and not a possibly uneven after market black. Also I would fear that whatever product you use to cover it with black would eventually wear off or come off slighty from rain. Also this was so fast. A tootbrush would take much longer

·
Registered
100 Posts
A tootbrush would take much longer
I use Kit paste wax, a few strokes of the toothbrush and it's gone. I spend hours washing, claying and waxing my car (every week! except for clay), a few minutes of toothbrushing the trim is well worth it. no cover-up, no scratches, no ugliness :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I use Kit paste wax, a few strokes of the toothbrush and it's gone. I spend hours washing, claying and waxing my car (every week! except for clay), a few minutes of toothbrushing the trim is well worth it. no cover-up, no scratches, no ugliness :D
Sounds legit. My issue was that I let the polish set in for a month so a toothbrush for me would barely work. I tried it with just water and could barely remove any and it took me forever, but I'm sure with fresh wax it would work well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Back-to-black should do the trick I would think. There's also wax cleaner products from Meguiar's and Pinnacle made to strip off wax.

I user 3M painter tape to keep tape off the trim and rubber parts. Its cheap and comes off very clean.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I use the Mr. Clean Eraser as well. Once I did this I followed it up with some 303 Aerospace Protectant to keep the trim from fading and offer some protection. It's kind of scary the kind of stuff you can clean off with the erasers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It is too dark out now but I hope to try the Magic Eraser on my trim tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Been using the magic eraser quite a while with good success. Also use it on foot/sole marks on the door sills getting in and out.

Don't go too hard with the magic eraser though. They can be like little sanding blocks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't expect to see that there are a bunch of us using this. Its pretty crazy how the simplest item can work better than expensive specialty products.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
magic erasors

many thanks for info---my back bumper had a small arguemrnt with a parking bollard and has yellow paint on it so hoping magic erasor can remove it for me

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haven't tried it with anything but polish, so good luck. i don't see why it wouldnt work, its just an abrasive material that rubs off the top layer of whatever you use it on i'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I thought I'd give an update. I tried the Magic Eraser on my bumper trim and it WORKS! All of the wax residue is gone! It works! This is incredible!

To 9-3tea, I owe you a case of beer. Thank you for this discovery!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use the magic eraser method @ work all the time. I try to stay away from the trim on the 9-3's but the 9-5s with the black trim on the bottom of the doors is a nuisance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts