SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3, 2.0T/6MT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently bought an '07 9-3 and it's been great so far! I bought it knowing it had a rear main seal leak and that it was still on the original clutch at 190k miles. Surprisingly, the clutch still feels super smooth and overall quite good. However, I recently started hearing a noise that I first thought was the engine clicking but that I now (thankfully!) believe to be the throwout bearing (it goes away when I push the clutch in). So I now have a few good reasons to take care of all this stuff and I'd love to do it myself but wanted to ask if any of you have done this before and if so what to watch out for - additional things besides clutch/flywheel/rear main seal/throwout bearing that should be replaced, unexpected tools that would be super helpful, other issues I'm likely to find along the way, good tutorials or examples to look at before I dive in, etc. I've never done a job of this magnitude before and I don't have another car to drive if I break this one trying to fix it - two very good reasons to just pay a shop to do it for me. But on the other hand, if I never try then I never learn.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am planning to do this job soon and have the clutch parts and slave cylinder on hand. One caveat: the 5 speed and 6 speed use different parts. Make sure you get the right ones. I have done two clutch replacements myself on two other cars and this one should be similar. RMS is easy once you get the flywheel off. I am not planning to do this as the car only has 220,000 km and should be good for another 100,000 until that appears, by which time it will be in the crusher from rust. Get WIS and study it carefully. You need to remove the exhaust system, engine subframe, and the transmission. Also, the screws holding in the slave cylinder are threadlocked in and hard to remove. Bleeding the new cyllinder can be tricky.

·
Registered
2007 9-3 Combi 2.0T Standard 6 speed
188 Posts
Hello,

Recently bought an '07 9-3 and it's been great so far! I bought it knowing it had a rear main seal leak and that it was still on the original clutch at 190k miles. Surprisingly, the clutch still feels super smooth and overall quite good. However, I recently started hearing a noise that I first thought was the engine clicking but that I now (thankfully!) believe to be the throwout bearing (it goes away when I push the clutch in). So I now have a few good reasons to take care of all this stuff and I'd love to do it myself but wanted to ask if any of you have done this before and if so what to watch out for - additional things besides clutch/flywheel/rear main seal/throwout bearing that should be replaced, unexpected tools that would be super helpful, other issues I'm likely to find along the way, good tutorials or examples to look at before I dive in, etc. I've never done a job of this magnitude before and I don't have another car to drive if I break this one trying to fix it - two very good reasons to just pay a shop to do it for me. But on the other hand, if I never try then I never learn.
what did you end up buying? i am doing the exact same thing on my 07 with 130k

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3, 2.0T/6MT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up taking it to a shop. I don’t have another car and I’ve never done a job of this magnitude so I needed it done right the first time.

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3, 2.0T/6MT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bit under 2k. They sourced the parts. I did call ahead to schedule the appointment, but all told my car was only there two days and sourcing parts was evidently pretty easy - I mention that because I don’t know what parts and quality of parts they used. Reputable shop though. They did a “clutch kit”, rear main seal, and throwout bearing. I don’t know if the seal and throwout bearing were included in that kit or not. I’m in North Texas, for reference.

·
Registered
2007 9-3 Combi 2.0T Standard 6 speed
188 Posts
A bit under 2k. They sourced the parts. I did call ahead to schedule the appointment, but all told my car was only there two days and sourcing parts was evidently pretty easy - I mention that because I don’t know what parts and quality of parts they used. Reputable shop though. They did a “clutch kit”, rear main seal, and throwout bearing. I don’t know if the seal and throwout bearing were included in that kit or not. I’m in North Texas, for reference.
That seems pretty much what I am going to do. Hopefully I can source them myself but I might end up doing what you did thank you for your insight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.