SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to do this exactly? I see that the orange reflector looks like its glued in but i dont want to start and take off the lense and then break it be S.O.L when there could possibly be a way to do it that i havent thought of or what not.:cool:

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Just go easy, I did send a screw driver thru the whole lense once.

With the housing removed from the car, use a flat bladed screw driver. Insert into a bulb hole, you can easily pry from a corner of the yellow part. Possibly working your way around the yellow. Once its seperated, I just used some long plyers, and snapped it apart and shook out the peices.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've heard people talk about heating the housing up in an oven and simply pulling the lense apart. Is this possible or will I just end up with crispy corners?

·
Registered
917 Posts
saabguykai said:
I've heard people talk about heating the housing up in an oven and simply pulling the lense apart. Is this possible or will I just end up with crispy corners?
I would be extremely wary of this...the oven would either cause the plastic to melt or turn darker. A hair dryer is enough heat, I once accidently deformed the hole through which the bulb goes in. :confused:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
No need to heat anything I successfully cleared 3 sets this way not scratches, breaks or marks. Just be extra careful and spend an extra 5 minutes. Forcing too much or being impatient will cost you a new unit ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I cleared my first set by prying the orange out and it worked well, with a bit of orange residue that you could barely notice. I was thinking about painting some areas inside the lense black, to give a smoked look without having to spray something on the outside of the lense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah dont bother with heating any lenses. take a flathead and pry at the center glue spot and carefully work it till the lense pops off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
donno about plastic, but I replaced a glass cover on my aftermarket projectors on my BMW like this. I believe, (but don't remember) it was 250 degrees for 15 min. worked like a charm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts