SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I had originally posted this in the "what did you do to your car today?" thread but one of the replies stated it would be nice to have this in its own thread for others to see and have better tags, etc.)

Thanks to this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204343 - for the ideas

I decided to replace my 2006 9-5 rear window decor strip (weatherstripping/molding).

It was disintegrating and leaving the silver metal strip behind.

The OEM part (in case you care to actually order it) is: http://www.saabusaparts.com/product-p/4552402.htm 4552402

I didn't feel like spending $87 nor did I want to take the chance of one of the cheaper ones on that site for something like a 9000 etc fitting properly.

So I simply bought the door molding at Advanced Auto Parts and went to work...total time was around 45 minutes...total cost $11.

STEPS:

1. Remove existing molding (careful with your paint!). Just start at the base of the window by the driver's side (trunk open) and pry it loose (metal and all) from the window.
  2. Then take care to keep pulling on the strip around the entire car. It helps to loosen the metal strip from the window first (I pried mine with a plastic paint scraper).
  3. Putting the new one on is just a lesson in patience. Starting again from the base of the window (this time a little towards the middle of the trunk by the driver's side), apply the door molding to the window. UPDATE: I noticed that water after a rain can bead up if the molding/stripping goes horizontally along the bottom of the window. Probably why the original one didn't go along the bottom. So you may consider starting in the same place as the original stripping started. I'm probably going to be cutting mine back to where the OEM stripping started.)
  4. Follow up around the driver's side, top of car, then passenger side. Finish at the base of the window and around to the original starting point. Cut to fit snug. When applying the molding be sure at press it hard against the window edge and exterior of window after it slides into place. It takes some effort (here the plastic paint scraper came in handy), once you get it going though you learn well enough how to get it on there.
End result? Looks pretty clean...the C channel is open a little more now...so if you live in a place with a lot of snow, might make sense to follow the original thread at the first of my post where a guy applied some stripping to that channel as well...but it didn't bother me where I live. WAIT a few days before getting a car wash just to be safe...and then it should wash out the dust in the channel clean.

PICS:

Below are my "tools". The glove was used a few times with small channel-locks placed inside to grip onto some of the metal stripping that was tough to pry loose. Helped to ensure if channel locks accidentally bumped the paint it didn't chip anything. Plastic paint stripper used to help wedge free the old weather stripping and to help with installing the new stripping.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
My rubber seal was also deteriorating on my sedan, it looked like ****. But for the metal edging I just taped everything off and painted it.

I do like your idea though. So does this edging slide on to the edge of the glass then?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rubber seal was also deteriorating on my sedan, it looked like ****. But for the metal edging I just taped everything off and painted it.

I do like your idea though. So does this edging slide on to the edge of the glass then?
Yes it does. It is a sort of "u" or "c" if you will shape, with a small bump on one inside edge. It has adhesive pre-applied but isn't super quick bonding so if you mess up a little you have time to fix it.

You slide/press it onto the edge of the glass until it is pressed firmly against it, ending up with both sides of the weatherstripping being about 1/4 to 1/3" or so onto the glass itself. I'd say about 80% of the same size as the OEM strip. It's not quite as wide. Then press firmly onto the stripping for about 5 seconds or so and move on. At the end I went back and pulled on some of the portions below the trunk line to test and they held firm enough.

NOTE: the stripping isn't really weatherstripping but doesn't matter, since the windshield trim is really decor trim and doesn't do anything other than give the glass a nicer appearance and possible prevent chips on the edge of the glass.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info on that. I might have to give this a go if the paint starts wearing off.

The weatherstriping I was talking about I marked in your pics. It is a thin rubber strip that goes around the glass. I think it is just something to deflected the rain but not weatherproof the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, yeah that comes off when you take off the stripping on the glass as well and sits inside the channel. Correct that it is for decoration (I believe from inspection) and might also be a little bit of a dust/snow deterrent. Check the original thread link I posted for details on a guy that replaced that part too since he was concerned about snow buildup (might be useful in Colorado :) )

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well I already cut off the old rubber strip and put a bead of black silicone all the way around the window. So now I will just get some of this edging and do like you did.

Thanks again bro and have a great day.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
And yes, there is a trick. The décor strip is designed to go in with the window i.e. fit the strip and then install the window. It has a hard plastic edging (+- 2.5mm) at the bottom that in my opinion is designed to stick to the window sealant for a permanent "lock" in position.

That edging is the culprit when you install the strip without removing the window. After fiddling with it for way too long I realized that I need to cut the plastic edge off along the entire length of the strip. By doing that you create a sharper edge to slide in between the window and old sealant and installation should be nothing more than a few minutes. Saab engineers may not approve this move but once placed fully in position there is no way for the strip to come loose.

The new strip looks great:D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And yes, there is a trick. The décor strip is designed to go in with the window i.e. fit the strip and then install the window. It has a hard plastic edging (+- 2.5mm) at the bottom that in my opinion is designed to stick to the window sealant for a permanent "lock" in position.

That edging is the culprit when you install the strip without removing the window. After fiddling with it for way too long I realized that I need to cut the plastic edge off along the entire length of the strip. By doing that you create a sharper edge to slide in between the window and old sealant and installation should be nothing more than a few minutes. Saab engineers may not approve this move but once placed fully in position there is no way for the strip to come loose.

The new strip looks great:D
Nice...post some pics if you get a chance! I'd still consider doing this long term if the price came down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts