SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will update this thread as the rebuilding progresses.

4/28/12
The wheels are ARE 398's. 16x7 +25mm all around. They were very dirty whewn I first got them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5/2/12
Got the tires off at Walmart for $5/tire; not bad. Hatchback ftw!

Current state of the wheels. Oxidized, light curb on two wheels, dirty, etc. Oh, and I need to find another center cap or make something fit.

The lip and barrel ARE welded together so they are only 2 piece wheels. Not the end of the world.

I will be sanding this light curb down during the refinishing of the wheels

I've got a lot to soap down, sand, and polish :/

5/4/12
Power washed them at the car wash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5/7/12
Materials I used + 800 grit sandpaper

Removed the bolts and used a 2x4 to hit the face inwards/downwards till it popped off.

Face condition.

Barrel condition.

Barrel sanded with 400 grit.

Barrel polished as much as I could.

Bolts in their original condition.

Bolts soaked in Coke overnight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barrel sanded with 400 all around.

Barrel sanded to 1500.

Polished with 3M rubbing compound.

This work gets my hands really dirty...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5/8/12
Curb disappears after just a little sanding with 120 grit.

Bolts after Coke treatment and some 3M rubbing compound.

5/9/12
All four barrels finished!

Close up :)

Inner barrels will get dirty anyway, but I'm kind of a perfectionist and got carried away with cleaning them haha.

Received my wobble bolts only a few days after my order was placed!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5/9/12
I usually use Aircraft Remover to remove paint, but the closer auto shop didn't have it. This works just fine.

5/21/12
just got centers sprayed.

Popped them on to see how they would look.

5/25/12
Test fitting.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm surprised the curb rash came out as good as it did. Excellent work by the way! Hope you took the valve stems out for the polishing. Are you going to clear coat them to keep the shine? Or will you just polish them ever so often?

·
Registered
197 Posts
:suprised; Oh. My. God. That looks simply amazing! You sir are my inspiration! I'm getting some RKII's in the mail pretty soon and I was going to polish the lip like that! Looks amazing! For centers I was thinking either gold, or painting them black and then painting the bolts gold or getting something like this. Just a thought though! Can't wait to seem them on!!!;ol;

·
Registered
423 Posts
:suprised; Oh. My. God. That looks simply amazing! You sir are my inspiration! I'm getting some RKII's in the mail pretty soon and I was going to polish the lip like that! Looks amazing! For centers I was thinking either gold, or painting them black and then painting the bolts gold or getting something like this. Just a thought though! Can't wait to seem them on!!!;ol;
DOOOOO ITTT!! I wanna see pics.

·
Registered
197 Posts
DOOOOO ITTT!! I wanna see pics.
Ha send me some funds and I'll do it for sure! $3 a bolt x 20 bolts a wheel x 4 wheels = $240 on the bolts! That's why I'm kinda leaning toward just spraying the bolts gold... Unless that's not what you were talking about :roll:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can powder coat the bolts for cheaper than that. And you can choose any color. I might do that later on. Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ha send me some funds and I'll do it for sure! $3 a bolt x 20 bolts a wheel x 4 wheels = $240 on the bolts! That's why I'm kinda leaning toward just spraying the bolts gold... Unless that's not what you were talking about :roll:
i counted and did the math, and i was like daaymmmnnnnn ouch. yeah you should powercoat them! that would be sick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*UPDATE*

Sorry I've been busy with Summer school, but here's an update to everything!

So I tackled my center hub problem. The problem was that there was a lip inside the center hub of the wheel that didn't allow my hub to fit all the way in.

I then bought this router to mill out the metal lip:

I also bought this rabbeting bit to cut the metal:

I never used a router so I tried it out to the best of my abilities. I tried it out and the bit cut in slightly too much into the wheel. I didn't think about it, but the problem was that the bearing on top of the bit MUST be flush to whatever you're cutting.

So I bought a bearing that fit my needs (flush/same size as my bit). This allowed my to cut perfect circles using the bearing as a guide.

The wheel now fits on the hub!!

I assembled the wheels:
-hand tightened bolts
-torqued 10lbs in a star formation
-torqued 15lbs all around

The tires are now ready to be mounted onto the wheels! Hopefully today after my exam.

Here are some final pics of my wheels I took this morning. Excuse the ****ty photos and the lips weren't cleaned thoroughly. (fingerprint magnet)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
*WARNING*: Mexiflush content

Stuff that I've been collecting:

Wheels before and after:

Wheels before and after:

Wheels/side mirrors before and after:

Skirts before and after:

The wheels are exactly how I want them; maybe a thicker side wall, but all I want now is to close the fender/tire gap. I'm thinking about cutting 1/2 a coil.

Something like this as my finished stance:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The front lip is an Integra Type R lip (94-97). You can find them on eBay new for $50. I may paint mine, if I find the time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts