SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I created this DIY when my wife's 2008 9-7x battery died.
As it turns out, the blower motor didn't turnoff. Even with the key out and vehicle locked, the blower stayed on. Always!

After doing a little research, it turns out that the culprit is a resistor behind the blower motor.

I ended up buying an ACDelco OEM part that I found online for about $45 bucks.

In the mean time, we still needed to drive the car without the battery draining.
What I did was wire in a toggle switch and ran it up the fender and just inside the door.
You could also open the hood and pull the fuse. (Just keep pulling on it, it's in tight)

Finally the new item arrived!
Dang, it was stupid cold outside and I had to wait to find somewhere to work on it.
...and a pushy wife telling me to hurry. :) (It was a gaudy toggle I found)
::pictures will follow DIY::

I suppose I will start with the instructions that were included with the replacement resistor.

The process is exactly as this describes.
BUT, you have to take off the glove box to get there...

Also, because we are splicing wires, Disconnect Your Battery!

Start by emptying and lowering the glove box.

Drop it all the way down to expose three screws to remove it.
The three screws are in these approximate locations:

Just below those screws are two more that need to be removed.
Then pull off the lower shroud.

It may help to pull the clips off and remove the shroud, but it is not mandatory.

You now see the blower motor. The Resistor is on the other end of the black and purple wires.
Unplug this connector from the blower.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
On the other end of the wires is the resistor held in with two screws, time to take it out!
It is likely easier to remove the resistor and then unplug the Black, Red, Purple/White connector.

Then fish out the Black and Purple wires from the side of the blower motor.

Now we need to splice...
Be Sure The Battery Is Disconnected!
Cut the clip off the end of the Black, Red and Purple/White wires.
Note: This is the one that came out of the resistor.

The new resistor has these same colored wires that need to be attached to the car's wires with the corresponding colors.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I crimped mine, but there are obviously several ways to do this.
Just ensure they are secure and insulated.

Notice and compare the resistor to the old one. The tabs are at an angle and make the resistor directional.

As described in the part's instructions, line up the holes on the new resistor and place the included spacer on the appropriate hole.
Then screw in the new resistor.

Below are the pictures I took of the switch :)

I wired into the fuse box a toggle switch.
Note: If you do this, ensure the wire and switch are all rated for the application!
Avoid fires!

I ran the orange wires up the fender and just inside the door.
Sure, I could have used black wires... but I had bright orange. :D

Then all the way up the pillar... To a neon green switch
Sure, I could have left the green cover off... or hid the wires behind the pillar... but I didn't. :D

·
Registered
4,509 Posts

I didn't get a picture of this, but I had piece of metal slid down the pillar that I attached the toggle to. It was good enough while I waited for the part and a place to do the install.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
-Edited and taken care of OP. Post size limit and Image limit is throughout the forums, not just newer members. It helps limit spam, also for your images all you have to do is copy the img url, click on the little mountain picture while posting, and paste the url there. I think you were hitting URL and IMG for coding and doubling up. This was def. the hardest post I've ever edited lol. Good job on the writeup though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.