SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at about 20 different posts on replacing a dying clutch, it seems there are two routes.
1. cough up over $1,000 for labor and have a shop do it
2. DIY

I'm a recent college graduate, working two jobs, paying off student loans so #1 isn't an option right now. However, I can scrape together $350 bucks for a new clutch and dedicate my weekend to teaching myself how to change my own clutch and do the job myself (or with a fellow saab enthusiast that likes to help)

I was hoping you could please shed some light on the subject and give me a little advice.

I have most of the necessary equipment to perform the job (jacks, tools, stands) however, i want to make sure this isn't beyond my capabilities. I am in no ways a noob to the upgrade scene. All the upgrades on my Saab have been done myself including, MP cross flow IC, 3in dp, catback exhaust, brake job, and everything in between.

How big of a job is replacing the clutch?
Can someone handy with a wrench perform this change in a weekend?
Where's the best place to find a detailed guide to help me through the job?
What else should i be aware of when replacing the clutch?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks in advance
-Ben

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You'd probably require lots of handyness and equipment to manage a weekend, but two...

You could probably skip resurfacing if you haven't let it slip too long.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Instead of using the 2 hydraulic jacks like are shown on Platonoff's site, I bought a 800 lb capacity transmission jack at harbor freight for $100. Overkill, I know, but I also have a Sierra PU that I may need to use it on sometime (hopefully in the distant future). And it would also work on a gas tank.

I built an engine support beam with some 4x4s and tied them together with 1/2" threaded rod. I used another couple of pieces of threaded rod and chain to support both engine lifting rings. If I ever do it again, I will add one more piece of threaded rod and chain to attach to the transmission which will make it easier to remove. If you get a flat tranmission jack like I did, the transmission will have a tendency to move on the jack even with the securing cable. I scribed some 2x6s to match the transmissions underside and bolted them onto the jack. Installing the transmission was easier than removing it... Ron

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did my first clutch last May and just did the second this week (for someone else).

I use a home made engine beam.

Expect to run into problems. Everytime I tackle something like this you hit a new snag. This time we had a heck of a time getting the half axle out of the transmission. Also, I hate bleeding clutches.

We (2-3 people) probably spent some 6 hours on day one, 4 hours on day two and say, 3 hours on day three. Big tools are nice. I do this kind of work at my dads shop (farm) where we have access to the big stuff and various lengths of drivers, wrenches, extensions hammers ect.

There are plenty of Saabers in your area that should be willing to help out, grab a friend and some beer and go to town.

·
Registered
1995 Saab 900SE 2.0T 3 door hatch
1,146 Posts
its really not bad at all. if i can swap an engine in 8 hrs you can replace a clutch in a weekend. 2 things to remember unhook your shift linkage before dropping the subframe, and allign the clutch disc before trying to reinstall the trans.

·
Registered
324 Posts
hey galaend, just wondering how your clutch replacement project worked out for you? im going to need to do my clutch soon, but more importantly now i need to replace my struts, as one is completely shot, all the oil leaked out and it is completely useless.
but this fall when the weather gets nice i plan on doing my clutch as well. just wondering how it worked out for you. thanks...

also, i have a question for anyone who may know. since my strut went bad, once in a while if i hit a hole while accelerating the car sometimes pops out of gear. i cant imagine that being good for the trans. but im just wondering if it is bad, and if so, how bad is it. i dont want to destroy my car in the meantime while i wait for my parts to come in.
thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.