SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to changing my valve cover gasket ( Victor Reinz ). Thought I'd go ahead and try a freeze plug in the place of the dist plug. So far the results are very good.

I used the 1 1/4 - 1 3/8 size. I put a bit of oil on it, tapped in lightly with a dead blow, then I added a bit of lock tight then snugged it down.

A nut acting as a spacer keeps the charge pipe bracket off the plug by about 1mm.

I think this will work well for a long time. We will see how it goes over the next few heat cycles.

Remember, I just bought this car so it looks bad under here... For now

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far so good. No problems or movement at all.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Sorry, I don't like it.

I like to fix things the proper way.

For me , This would only be a temporary fix untill I could install the proper blanking plug.

It was a good idea tho :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great.

I'm happy though. ;ol;

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Neat idea. Mine leaks but I can't be bothered to pull the cam cover again to fix it so have toyed with something like this. I presume it's 2 washers with a rubber gasket between them that expands when they are compressed with the nut and bolt in the middle?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neat idea. Mine leaks but I can't be bothered to pull the cam cover again to fix it so have toyed with something like this. I presume it's 2 washers with a rubber gasket between them that expands when they are compressed with the nut and bolt in the middle?
Yup.

I'm also working on finding a cover for it so it won't be unsightly.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: The plug moved out that 1mm to the charge pipe mount, still dry.

·
Registered
410 Posts
distributor

hi,there was an actual blanking plug on an ebay site-uk i think -recently.buy now price was about GBP30+shipping.if this does the job for a few dollars US or AU and the rubber is impervious to oil and/or petrol then it's a valid repair.there are plastic covers for furniture that would probably cover the nut and make it look better if you're wanting it to look more pleasing-me i wouldn't bother--it's doing the job!!!!!!!!!!!!! love that car.cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts