SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old 9-5 has cloth interior and no heated seats. I've have found a local listing for a used leather interior for a good price, but the seller isn't sure if it's heated or not. The seller is a local wreckers and the car itself has empty spaces where seat heating switches should be. Is it possible to distinguish in an easy way if the new seats really do have heating? Perhaps there is an extra wiring in place or the heater elements can somehow felt with hand?

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,733 Posts
You could ask if there are what looks to be a yellow and green plug behind the holes....(pretty sure on the colors) - that would show heated seat switches. Also there would be wiring under the seats - at the back seat join if you remove the elastic cord underneath, you should be able to expose the back side of the seat bottom - if there are wires going in on drivers side - then seat heaters. Pass side may have 2 sets of wires, one for the ol butt sensor and one for heater element but that is a bit more work to get to. My impression is that by and large the leather seats did have seat heaters....but not 100% sure on that. I think after 2001 the vast majority had them

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree it’s unusual to find a leather 9-5 seat without heating, but the car mentioned has no heat switches. There was a time when seat heat wiring was installed regardless, so I see where you’re going with the green and yellow plug idea.

The facility to see a car’s original spec. by inputting the VIN, which used to be available through thesaabsite.com, is available again through Orio, the Saab parts network. If the donor car’s VIN could be found from the seller, the spec might hopefully state “preparation for front seat heating” or similar.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,733 Posts
I guess the real question is interpretation - I took (for right or wrong) the statement "has empty spaces where seat heating switches should be" to mean there were holes where the switches should be, i.e. they had been removed or something had been removed. But as you say if there are just blanks in the dash at the places they should reside, then I would suspect the seats are not heated. For the build data, I have never seen full on build data online for Saabs but if it is out there I agree that would be helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know, all cars should come pre-wired for heated seats. So probably my best option is to check if all plugs are plugged in under the new seat.

I guess the real question is interpretation - I took (for right or wrong) the statement "has empty spaces where seat heating switches should be" to mean there were holes where the switches should be, i.e. they had been removed or something had been removed. But as you say if there are just blanks in the dash at the places they should reside, then I would suspect the seats are not heated. For the build data, I have never seen full on build data online for Saabs but if it is out there I agree that would be helpful.
What I meant is that where seat buttons are, the is nothing currently. Not even the blank covers as my car has. So either the heater switches or blank covers have been removed at some point on the "new" car.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Nope. I have met few W/O seat heaters and W/O wiring looms.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
To find the original spec.,

bottom of page under Links: My SaabCar Online

Set up an account.

Last option at left is VIN decoder. Its not purely a VIN decoder, its a list or the car's original spec. Its not quite as comprehensive as the one that used to be available through thesaabsite.com , but it should tell you what you need to know. A member on UKSaabs wrote to them and requested the facility be made available again. Amazingly they complied. He must write a nice letter.

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts