SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the problem of the display brightness fading in and out(bright then fading too dull and then dull gradully getting brighter) its driving me nutty.
its not the ilumination for the speedo ect just the trip comp and check engine and warnings. most odd:confused:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Bit more for you, it's the thing with the red window on the right hand side at the bottom of the PCB. The resistance of the component changes based upon the amount of light that falls on it effectively controls the illumination of both the trip computer and also the engine display unit and bar graph on the dash. It has nothing to do with the brightness of the panel lamps which are the seperate rheostat as you've no doubt found out.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Well I posted a direct link to a UK supplier but I appreciate that's not much help. You need to find an electronics component supplier where you are.

Sorry to say, try Google ;)

David.

·
Registered
611 Posts
alright...soo this part is located in my clock unit?
If I pulled the unit apart and looked at the LDR would there be a specific number I would need to find in for me to order the correct part?

Also I should double check that this should solve my issue of my digital clock and the info for DTE and outside temp etc lighting being dim?

·
Registered
43 Posts
FWIW;

I had a Grand Prix GTP with a HUD (Heads Up Display) that was supposed to increase in brightness according to the ambient light level. Mine did not work properly at one point and many members of the board that I was a part of (like this one in many respects), suggested that I shine a very bright light directly at the sensor. I did it and I did not have a problem with it again.

I don't know if this would apply to this problem but what the hell. For all I know it was the automotive equivalent of voodoo :roll: or take two aspirins and call me in the morning, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
over on Saabnet people have been replacing them with a "photoresistor" from radio shack but they state that the brightness is great during the day and very bright at night...Has anyone had that problem with this one, or is this pretty much a direct replacement of the stock unit and will act the same?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
97Aero, i'm afraid that's a bit of a meaningless comment because whether you call it a light dependent resistor (LDR) or photoresistor it doesn't matter - it's the same thing.

They come in many many different sizes and parameters, you simply can't say to just use one from Radio Shack or any other place.

I posted the parameters of one that someone says gives good results, you need to find one with similar resistances at the same light levesl i'm afraid. :)

Do a Google for "ldr electronic component supplier" or similar to see what you can turn up in your country.

David.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Nope, haven't needed to yet. I had mine apart, well if fell apart!

Someone at somepoint had broken the casing as you can see in the pic and the buttons were falling in so I took it out, found most of the plastic and welded and reinforced the plastic and put it back.

David.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts