SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this has been hashed around quite a bit here, and I just wanted to bring up some other topics while I'm thinking about it. I finally found a independant garage with Saab Tech II software, and after a brief phone conversation, he will hook up the software and see what can be done as far as lighting, and other configurations. (Strange that my local dealer refuses to admit that any changes can be made to lighting, further saying any tech II changes to the lighting completely disable fogs)

He said he knows for sure he can disable the DRL's with Tech II, but he didn't know about the fogs or citylight settings, but will check it out while hooked up.

I figure I am going to make it simple and ask him for Headlight setting 1, and Foglight setting 1. An I will pull fuse 35 myself.

As I understand it, my car is currently set at Headlight and Foglight setting 3, which is a US spec setting.

Well after searching this site, and other Saab bb sites, I have found no information on what setting 2 is, or if it even exists. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone here done anyother combination of headlight/foglight settings, for a custom look?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
WIS head lamp programing options

These are what I've been reading. I haven't been able to figure out what the difference between options are. :confused:

I Can't determine whether the insertion of Fuse 35 is one of these options. (#3?) Also, I haven't been able to figure out the difference between dipped beams and main beams.

In another thread, we were disscussing that when the selector switch is in the #1 position (straight up, not 1 o'clock) the directionals are used instead of the manual defined "parking lights" which are the ones inside the headlamp housing. This was on a US factory spec vehicle with fuse 35 removed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think dipped beam are DRL's or low beams, and main beam is high beams!! I will try it shortly, but it seems as though Euro Setting 1 is the same as US setting 3, just with fuse 35 pulled, No software involved!!

Also, food for thought, as my car is currently set for US setting 3, under no circumstances are the citylights activated. I have a sneaky suspicion they are just blown out. This afternoon I will check them out and report back with my findings.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm curious to know if the Euro setting 1 will enable the inner halogen lights to work as.......a light source of any kind?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I did some experimenting today by pulling fuse 35, and found that my car is programmed as alternative 3 as listed above. I also found that both my 12v 5w citylight bulbs were burnt out, and don't you know I must have replaced both with 6v bulbs because they were really bright and both blew out about 15 minutes later.

So i found that with Alternative 3, when you pull fuse 35, in position 0, all lights are off. in position 1, lowbeams, citylights, and parking lights are on, and the same for position 2 with the addition of selecting high beams and fogs.

Friday I go to indy ith tech 2, and move my settings to alternative 1 for both headlights and fogs.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
unidenscan said:
I think dipped beam are DRL's or low beams, and main beam is high beams!! I will try it shortly, but it seems as though Euro Setting 1 is the same as US setting 3, just with fuse 35 pulled, No software involved!!

Also, food for thought, as my car is currently set for US setting 3, under no circumstances are the citylights activated. I have a sneaky suspicion they are just blown out. This afternoon I will check them out and report back with my findings.
I think your City Lights are blown. I'm U.S. 3 with DRL fuse pulled.

With the light switch in poistion 1 or 2 I get headlights, city lights and parking lights.

Would like to get to Euro 1 when I get time to get to a tech II.

EDIT: just saw you got to that in your last post.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Excellent, Thanks for the info.
I gather from Al's post that this can be changed in the DICE menus of the Tech2, correct?
Regards,
cse_20

stipud said:
Yes, in the middle position with the DRL fuse inserted, you will be using JUST the 5w lightbulbs... no mains.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Question on further clarification (sorry).

In the light switch position 1 (12 o'clock) in Euro 1 I know the headlights are off (DRL fuse pulled).

As for the side parking lights and tail lights - I understand they are on with no headlights (again, switch position 1 Euro 1).

How about the little City Lights next to the headlights? Are they on with Euro 1 setting, or just the parking lights (lights that provide for the blinker and tail lights) in switch position 1 Euro 1?

Also, with Euro 1, will the City Lights be on when the headlights are on and switched to position 2 on the headlight switch?

I curently have U.S. 3 setting which has parking, city and headlights for switch position 1 or 2.

Ideally I would like no headlights, with both parking and city lights for position 1 and all three for position 2 - with fog lights working for either.

Hope this is not too confusing!

G

·
Here is what I had done to my car.

I asked for the Euro 1 setting and explained to the service manager what I wanted.

Here is what I got.

They reinstalled the DRL fuse and the "city lights" along with every other light except the headlights were on. I pulled the fuse.

Now here is what I got

11 o'clock position: No lights
12 o'clock position: city lights(parking) with available front fogs. The rear fog will also work, but only if the front fog is on.
1 o'clock position: Full headlights & highbeams and City lights. Front fogs. Rear fogs will also work, but front fogs don't have to be on.

I took it to the dealer in Willow Grove. Cost, approx $60.00 last year.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
jlthunder said:
Here is what I had done to my car.

I asked for the Euro 1 setting and explained to the service manager what I wanted.

Here is what I got.

They reinstalled the DRL fuse and the "city lights" along with every other light except the headlights were on. I pulled the fuse.

Now here is what I got

11 o'clock position: No lights
12 o'clock position: city lights(parking) with available front fogs. The rear fog will also work, but only if the front fog is on.
1 o'clock position: Full headlights & highbeams and City lights. Front fogs. Rear fogs will also work, but front fogs don't have to be on.

I took it to the dealer in Willow Grove. Cost, approx $60.00 last year.
Thanks for the info.

When you say city lights I assume you are referring to what I call parking lights - the lights front and rear that also provide the blinkers.

When I say city lights - I am referring to the small round light in between the parking (blinker) light and my xenon headlight.

I am curious as to whether they are on in Euro 1 - either in switch position 1 (no headlights but side parking/blinker lights) or switch position 2 (headlights with side parking/blinker lights). Switch position 0, by the way, is all lights off.

G

·
tmg19103 said:
Thanks for the info.

When you say city lights I assume you are referring to what I call parking lights - the lights front and rear that also provide the blinkers.

When I say city lights - I am referring to the small round light in between the parking (blinker) light and my xenon headlight.

I am curious as to whether they are on in Euro 1 - either in switch position 1 (no headlights but side parking/blinker lights) or switch position 2 (headlights with side parking/blinker lights). Switch position 0, by the way, is all lights off.
If you only get the parking lights while the engine is running in position 1, then you are set to Euro 1. The parking lights(city lights) will function as parking lights when the engine is off and the key is out in all situations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts