SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have scoured the extensive BSR PPC postings and have found lots of positive feedback regarding power increases and the added WOW seat-of-the-pants feeling the BSR upgrade brings. Only a few posts have addressed the actual driving characteristic changes. For instance: where in the power band (rpm) does one feel boost increase? How severly does the Adaptive System (adjusts to your driving style) effect the BSR upgrade. Can you make any adjustments in driving to overcome adaptation. Can you feel BSR evenly throughout accelleration (start to 100 mpg +)? At lower speeds/RPM, does BSR do anything? In winter/summer conditions, any better/lesser performance, operating inconsistencies, etc. There could be humdreds more examples like these. Hopefully the experienced can fill the many curious-interested in... Thanks...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've personally found very little difference to my normal day to day driving. It's the feelin when you bury the throttle that BSR comes into it's own. Which makes sense when you think a lot of it comes from the reset of the max boost level. Driving long distance is more effortless as overtaking is a much simpler manouever, and the increased mpg figure is always a bonus. :)

I think the BSR comes into its own with spirited driving is the easy answer, it reacts better once your turbo is spooling up and you're "pressing on"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy C said:
I've personally found very little difference to my normal day to day driving. It's the feelin when you bury the throttle that BSR comes into it's own. Which makes sense when you think a lot of it comes from the reset of the max boost level. Driving long distance is more effortless as overtaking is a much simpler manouever, and the increased mpg figure is always a bonus. :)

I think the BSR comes into its own with spirited driving is the easy answer, it reacts better once your turbo is spooling up and you're "pressing on"
Thanks for the input! It sounds like you don't feel any BSR effect until you hit full throttle-Peddal to floor! I assume this is the same for the 2.8T BSR unit as is for the 2.0. Is there any BSR boost at say 3.5-5K. I drive for fuel economy most of the time, and seldom get into full throttle. Just would like to feel BSR before full throttle if possible. I do realize their design is to maximize fuel economy, but deliver added boost at hard accelleration. Just not sure that's what I'm looking for... Just wondering.

·
Banned
631 Posts
im thinking about getting the BSR PPC for my car.

Its hard to believe that its an instant 30hp gain..

What are the actually numbers here. I really want to know what gains your truly getting off stock with this upgrade.

Obivously more upgrades down the road . Just wanting to see if its truly worth it :) ty

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I'd say from some of the comments here that the V6 is different than the 2.0T.

You definitely get more boost even at part throttle. With the turbo guage you can really see what is going on. The V6 has so much torque from 2,000 rpm it's amazing.

BSR appears to have done some pretty fancy tuning. For one, they limit the boost to approx. 12 lbs. boost or .8 bar for 1st and 2nd gear. Once you hit 3rd gear the turbo needle maxes out--I'm guessing that's about 14-15 lbs. of boost or 1 full bar. If they didn't do this there might be too much power and torque steer. Certainly more wheel spin from the start. There is so much power with the Stage 1 that when you go full throttle from the start with the ESP off the tires spin all the way to second gear:eek:

In the auto they also reduce the boost slightly just before upshifting when at full boost or just shy of full boost. This is quite amazing as they are trying to reduce the load on the auto tranny which is good I guess.

On the whole the tuning is very smooth.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a 1.8t which is actually a 2L 150hp model with auto tranny. After BSR stage 1, that goes to roughly 200HP I think which is a good deal of HP for a simple upgrade such as this.

Fuel consumption did not change much and I have to admit on the auto tranny gears 1 and 2 drives similar to stock albeit a little bit more responsive. But on 3rd gear, you can really feel the difference and this will be very apparent when overtaking or someone tries to have a go at you while doing 60+kmh.

In fact in one experience, I resumed cruise control from about 30km/h it was kinda smooth acceleration from 2nd gear but as soon as it hits 3rd gear, I saw my boost gauge go right up to 1.1 bar! (on the apexi boost gauge). Gears 1 and 2 i think only hits about 0.7/0.8 max from what I saw myself. Got me kinda worried cos' even a WRX stock is using less than 1 bar of boost. But the rush at 3rd is there!

Its the best thing I've ever done to a vehicle (money well spent).

·
Registered
209 Posts
With two liter engine, there´s no significant (if at all) change below 2000rpm, and above that it really depends how much you are pressing the pedal. But if you start accelerating below 1500rpm on a higher gear, the boost will peak a bit earlier.

Mileage will get worse in city traffic driving, but highway driving it´ll get better. But if you floor it very ofter and use the power on higher rpm, economy will drop for sure.

BSR stage 1 will give about 1.1bar maximum boost, depending on conditions. Target is the torque, which should be available in all conditions.

With stage 1 car is very driveable and will give you top quality power without any signs on "tuned" engine, like harsh turbo-kick or engine noise. Nothing like that, just very smooth powerband and right there were you need it most: top torque on higher gears. Excellent tuning I would say.

And quick notification if you haven´t seen it yet, stage 1 for MY07 and up will give you 220hp/330Nm, which is quite a lot more comapred to 2.0T stock. That makes the 1.8t a bargain, don´t you think?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
BSR appears to have done some pretty fancy tuning. For one, they limit the boost to approx. 12 lbs. boost or .8 bar for 1st and 2nd gear. Once you hit 3rd gear the turbo needle maxes out--I'm guessing that's about 14-15 lbs. of boost or 1 full bar.
All turbocharged Saabs have been torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear for the past 15 years. This isn't some bit of BSR magic. All responsible tuners follow this pattern. :D

If they didn't do this there might be too much power and torque steer. Certainly more wheel spin from the start. There is so much power with the Stage 1 that when you go full throttle from the start with the ESP off the tires spin all the way to second gear:eek:
LOL...That's partially because the gearing is so tall, and the torque delivered so low in the rev range, you can actually start in second gear. Again, no huge bit of power delivery there.

In the auto they also reduce the boost slightly just before upshifting when at full boost or just shy of full boost. This is quite amazing as they are trying to reduce the load on the auto tranny which is good I guess.
This was done for the past 15 years with Trionic. The torque delivery in autoboxes is different so that the kickdown doesn't wreck the box. Saab learned a lot from the crappy autoboxes in the C900 and 9000....;)

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
mike saunders said:
All turbocharged Saabs have been torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear for the past 15 years. This isn't some bit of BSR magic. All responsible tuners follow this pattern. :D

LOL...That's partially because the gearing is so tall, and the torque delivered so low in the rev range, you can actually start in second gear. Again, no huge bit of power delivery there.

This was done for the past 15 years with Trionic. The torque delivery in autoboxes is different so that the kickdown doesn't wreck the box. Saab learned a lot from the crappy autoboxes in the C900 and 9000....;)
None of that is noticicable in stock form. My 03' Linear didn't reduce boost for upshifts and the V6 didn't either.
Also the boost in stock form appears the same in all gears--not reduced in 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
On the 06 2.8T stock boost is definetley limited in 1st and 2nd - no doubt - more so in 1st than 2nd but still there

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
None of that is noticicable in stock form. My 03' Linear didn't reduce boost for upshifts and the V6 didn't either.
Also the boost in stock form appears the same in all gears--not reduced in 1st and 2nd.

Boost is limited in those gears with stock proramming, in roughly the same proportion as with aftermarket programming.

The V6 has a relatively small turbo that was deliberately sized small to deliver its boost in a nice, linear way. There's virtually no lag with it, and there's no sudden turbo rush -- just a constant feeling of acceleration.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
FLA_SAAB_ DEALER said:
which is what makes it a beautiful car :) lol
Agreed....It's a really nice power delivery. No torque rush also means no torque steer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts