SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...now check this out.
While driving I noticed recently that the gas gauge, rpm gauge, speedo and turbo gauge all stop working. They will stop and start, or flicker. Sometimes they will flicker on and off, on and off and eventually start working again.
But if I bang really hard up on the dashboard just above the left speaker, it will correct itself......but just for a little while. For me this is obviously a loose connection of something or other, and by the results I see from banging on the dashboard, looks like I gotta get back there. And thats something I'm not really sure I want to tackle.

Any ideas other than this car got jealous because I have been driving the C900 convertible for the past week? ( which by the way is having it's clutch replaced tomorrow )

Thanks guys.....any ideas is welcome.

Michael

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wish I had insight here, but I am having a similar issue. My gas gauge has a mind of its own. Hitting it doesn't do anything for me. I was told I had to get a new dash (funny enough, but the same shop that took me for $815 on a fuel pump, go figure?), but a new one (well, a used one) would be about $300 (like my fuel pump was going to be about $600).

I am thinking I want to build a custom dash gauge cluster with real readings, but I am eager to hear what the pros have to say on this topic, so I'll hold off.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I had my cluster out last week to replace a burned out bulb. Munki's tech help section has directions on dash dismantling that will get you there.

The cluser itself seems to be "solid state", it's a circuit board with some electronic gizmos soldered on to it along with some light sockets. Maybe some of these could vibrate loose, I suppose.

However there is a single big connector plug in the back, held on with a clever flip lever. I would think that this could be the source of your problem if it somehow got loose, or if the connections got a little corroded. It'll take an hour or so to get the dash apart to check, but it's a good opportunity to clean all that gritty dust and stuff out of the facia and dash vents :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great....I'll go check it out now, maybe do it this afternoon if the directions are simple enough.
This problem has gone on for months, but I choose to ignore it because it only happened every once and a while....now it's constant.
I'm hoping it is just a "connector" and a simple cleaning will deal with the problem. I hope.

Later and thanks

Michael

JMarkert said:
I had my cluster out last week to replace a burned out bulb. Munki's tech help section has directions on dash dismantling that will get you there.

The cluser itself seems to be "solid state", it's a circuit board with some electronic gizmos soldered on to it along with some light sockets. Maybe some of these could vibrate loose, I suppose.

However there is a single big connector plug in the back, held on with a clever flip lever. I would think that this could be the source of your problem if it somehow got loose, or if the connections got a little corroded. It'll take an hour or so to get the dash apart to check, but it's a good opportunity to clean all that gritty dust and stuff out of the facia and dash vents :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
my dash is doing the same thing. it started just once in a while, then more then more then more. and i'm about to rip mine part, it somewhere down on my to do list. let me know what you find out!!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Good Luck! And let us know what you find. I'm sure this will happen to more and more of us as our cars age.

Since I just did this, I'll offer up a couple more hints. First, a set of tiny screwdrivers (the eyglass sized kind) is very helpful for prying out switches etc without leaving a mark. Go slowly though, it is easy to scratch things.

Also, some of the directions I've seen on the web suggest removing the steering wheel. I read somewhere else that it isn't necessary though. I found that if I pulled the wheel all the way out, then also removed the big plastic cover that covers the turn signal and wiper switches, I could work the instrument cluster out. It's a little bit of a brain teaser as there seems to be only one route that lets you get it out! Also, remember you don't tug on the connector, there's a lever thing that locks it in place.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man...I read those directions over and over again and have decided I'm going to take the job on. I'm actually going to do it this weekend.

But!!!!! once I get the dash out then what? Am I assuming it IS the connector plug thats mucking up? The fact that when I bang on the dash beside the left speaker does cause it to fix itself ( although just for a little while ) will I being doing this job just to clean that connector?

And if thats not it, does it mean installing a new dash? And if thats the case, what happens to my mileage, will it stay the same or become whatever used dash mileage I put in there? I know...Im getting ahead of myself, but maybe I should seach around for a used dash before I do this job, just in case. :cry:

Michael

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Michael - don't get too worried. This is the kind of a job that will take you an hour and a half the first time, but probably about 20 minutes the next. Once you learn how things are put together it's easy, so there's no need to have a spare instrument cluster on hand just yet.

Someone else had the same question about where the mileage is recorded a while ago. I forget exactly what the answer was, but I think it was actually stored in the ecu, not the cluster itself. A forum search on "odometer" might turn it up.

I didn't mention before, but it's easy to open up the cluster and take a look around. It's a white clam shell held together with a half dozen torx screws. You might find something loose inside, but like I said, mostly it's just a bunch of gizmos soldered onto a circuit board. Still, it's probably worth a peek.

Jeff

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D Thanks for stopping me. Used clusters are on Ebay for 80 bucks. But your right, I was getting way ahead of myself.
I have those directions and they are pretty clear, and this is a job I know I can do. And will. :D Stay tuned...

JMarkert said:
Michael - don't get too worried. This is the kind of a job that will take you an hour and a half the first time, but probably about 20 minutes the next. Once you learn how things are put together it's easy, so there's no need to have a spare instrument cluster on hand just yet.

Someone else had the same question about where the mileage is recorded a while ago. I forget exactly what the answer was, but I think it was actually stored in the ecu, not the cluster itself. A forum search on "odometer" might turn it up.

I didn't mention before, but it's easy to open up the cluster and take a look around. It's a white clam shell held together with a half dozen torx screws. You might find something loose inside, but like I said, mostly it's just a bunch of gizmos soldered onto a circuit board. Still, it's probably worth a peek.

Jeff

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done!!

Well I did it. I got up early this morning armed with all the info I received from this thread, and attacked my disco dash. Well I am happy to say the party is over.

I started at 6:05am and finished at 7:15am. Not bad for a first timer :D

All I did was clean the contacts on that plug, and on the back of the dash itself. Pluged it back in, put my dash back together then started her up.

I banged and banged on the dash....and all is well.

Thanks again guys.

Michael

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Wow that's great time. I feel like a slug. You'll do it in 10 minutes next time.

It's good to know for sure that the big connector can cause these problems, and that cleaning it fixes them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JMarkert said:
Wow that's great time. I feel like a slug. You'll do it in 10 minutes next time.

It's good to know for sure that the big connector can cause these problems, and that cleaning it fixes them.

Well lets hope I won't have to do it again, but a few guys out here do have this problem and if can do it.....anyone can do it.

Special thanks goes to you and "Munki's tech help section" and everyone for there help.

Well since I'm on a roll here, I'm gonna now gonna tear apart my C900 Vert drivers side door and find out why my window won't go all the way up.

Later

Michael

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Are there any thoughts on using di-electric paste on the cluster connection contacts ?? I do use this on 12 volt contacts; but I spent 20 minutes removing this grease from my flashlight batteries and bulb (here it acted as an insulator).

I have heard that the loss of ground or earth is the biggest problem for older dash panels, that redundant grounds are a good idea..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts