SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2007 9-3 S/S, and we've had it several weeks, and a couple hundred miles.
Today was the first time I hand washed the car. I must say it is an easy car to hand wash, the lines are very smooth and no sharp edges to cut my fingers on.

I remember my brother-in-law complaining about his new at the time 1999 9-3 Saab's wheels getting covered with brake dust and what a pain it was to clean. I saw a little dust on my wheels today and really didn't have a problem getting it off the wheels. Then I went to lunch and saw a 2006 9-3 with what looked like an inch and a half of brake dust on the front wheels. The wheels looked sooted up. I know I'll never let our car look like that, but I'm thinking that perhaps there is a problem with the pads GM or Saab decided to use. I hope they resolved this issue, because the bro-in-law put new pads on long before they were due.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Concrats for new 9-3!

Slightly off the topic, but I've been wondering why rear wheels become more dusty than front wheels in my car (SC -07). Usually, front brake pads wear more and make front wheels dusty. Anyone having a similar experience

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fronts do more braking so that stands to reason that there should be more dust on them, I don't have a clue as to why your backs ones get more gritty.

Another side note, do you notice in time the actual car color of the Saabs softening?
I mean look dull, and after only a few years not six or eight.

·
Registered
307 Posts
karitammi said:
Concrats for new 9-3!

Slightly off the topic, but I've been wondering why rear wheels become more dusty than front wheels in my car (SC -07). Usually, front brake pads wear more and make front wheels dusty. Anyone having a similar experience
Mine too onthe older pads. After the new brake pads the fronts get more dust.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Saab quietly went to a ceramic brake pad. Ceramics are quiet, produce less dust and aren't as hard on the discs. Organic with metal flakes actually stop slightly faster, but are noisey and dusty.

Ceramics cost more, though true enthusiasts like stopping power.

I put ceramics (expensive) on our 2001 9-3 and saw the same low dust effect.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The fronts are ceramic pads; there is dust but it's not really visible. The rears are conventional pads (semi-metallic, I assume) and generate a lot of black dust. As soon as someone starts making ceramics for the rear, I'll be changing them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
karitammi said:
I have been wondering the same thing, I figured it was what cadcamjim said. GM cutting costs.:nono; Nickel and Diming us.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yup my fronts are ceramics too. No brake dust whatsoever. I personally find the bite much worse than the OEM pads.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Rob Bie said:
I have been wondering the same thing, I figured it was what cadcamjim said. GM cutting costs.:nono; Nickel and Diming us.

Its not GM cutting costs. The ceramics cost more and are a better product in most ways. Brake dust really was a big problem and pain in the @$$ to clean.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I had the Green Stuff pads as my replacement pads, but they never worked as well as OEM's and were quite loud. So....last year, after a year of using the green stuff pads, I decided to switch back to the OEM pads. Yep, they produce dust, but then you know the pads work and a bonus feature....much quieter, even with the EBC rotors....

So...I think the OEM's do a great job....a very good job...

Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rear ceramics

Raybestos #PGD1095C for the (Linear) rear - $54 at Rockauto.com. I have these and the Akebono ceramics for the front. Brake feel is fine, almost no dust. Couldn't be happier :D:D:D.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well contrary to popular belief, brake dust is mostly rotor dust, not just pad dust. The CoF (Coefficent of Friction) for every style or type of brake pad is different and this difference is what causes the rotors to wear at a different rates creating dust. Often ceramic pads usually have a lower CoF than "organics" or "semi-metallics" which will cause less heat and in turn wear the rotor slower resulting in less dust, this is why most people buy them.

Now most of the time if you change barke pads you will not be able to tell the difference in CoF but it is there. This is probably why GreenStuff's are'nt regarded as "upgraded" pads by most people on here. GreenStuff's are probably better than most OEM pads, but not ours (they probably are lower CoF pads).

We truthfully have great pads on our cars from the factory. Therefore our cars having "high" levels of brake dust tells us that the pads really bite down on the rotors because of the high CoF there designed with. Truthfully you're kind of stuck with dust issues, so unless you change the pads to something with a really low CoF you're going to have dust issues. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I guess I just don't get it! I mean whats the big deal with brake dust, it comes right off as long as you wash your car:roll:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Brake dust is a pain to clean off. I'm glad they went to ceramics. I can easily go a week or more and not have black soot all over the fronts as opposed to one or two days before.

The car may stop a little slower, but I don't tailgate anyway so its not a big deal. The ceramics are a lot quieter too.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have noticed almost NO brakedust on my 2007. My Volvo came new with pads that were like butter...the brake dust even collected on the fender around the wheel in addition to the wheel itself. I have found Mintex "dustless" pads are a great non-ceramic alternative, and are much less expensive than ceramics. They are very durable pads, I've had several sets of Mintex over the years on my Saabs. I have tried PBR pads from Eeuroparts.com, but I had alot of squealing problems, so went back to Mintex.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have noticed almost NO brakedust on my 2007. My Volvo came new with pads that were like butter...the brake dust even collected on the fender around the wheel in addition to the wheel itself. I have found Mintex "dustless" pads are a great non-ceramic alternative, and are much less expensive than ceramics. They are very durable pads, I've had several sets of Mintex over the years on my Saabs. I have tried PBR pads from Eeuroparts.com, but I had alot of squealing problems, so went back to Mintex.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just picked some rear slotted/drilled rotors with semi metallic pads and notice way less brake dust, more so than the fronts which still have the standard rotors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts