SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2001 9-5 has started having its alarm go off at random times again. I had the module rebuilt once, but now she's done, and doesn't care if there's an alarm or not. I used my Tech 2 and set the alarm to off, so now it honks the horn quietly instead of chirping the alarm when the doors are locked and unlocked. What I'm wondering is if that will really keep the siren from coming on at odd hours, or if I still need to remove or at least unplug the alarm module.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
As far as I'm aware, mine never went off randomly, but I was getting the warning messages on the SID. I had it (2004) disabled by Tech 2 without removing the alarm unit, 4 years ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Use your Tech 2 to see the reason for the alarm going off. It should show you the the last 10 reasons I believe. Often it is a bad glass break sensor. If you look in the owners manual I think you press one of the SID buttons when exiting car to disable the glass break sensor. Or you could disconnect the sensor and the car will ignore it then. Ofcourse the Tech 2 could lead you in a different direction.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
You said that you disabled siren, take it out and submerge it in water or remove batteries.
Siren will sound when batteries go low and you have NO way to silent it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my 2002 Vector I had the alarm disabled using Tech 2 and haven't had any random alarms since. There were issues often before doing that, I just didn't feel like rebuilding the unit at the time, I'm now thinking of rebuilding and activating it again, not rushing to that since breaking in a (and any car for the matter) SAAB isn't that common in the recent years.

·
Registered
2003 Saab 9-5 Aero
7 Posts
I turned mine off with my tech2 for this reason. I'm assuming mine was doing it because the internal backup battery was dying/dead, because when I pulled the fuse, it didn't do it (unfortunately, A/C compressor is on the same fuse..).

I don't think mine ever activated again once I turned it off, but it's hard to say since it was so intermittent. I ended up pulling the module altogether. I was going to repair it, but it's a 17 year old Saab. 😂

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On Mimmi's advice, I took the module out this morning, and I'm glad I did. I had a guy on eBay rebuild the modules for both of my 9-5s less than two years ago. When I pulled this one out, there was something rattling around. I took it apart (it's the older screwed-together type), and one of the batteries was loose inside the case. The guy had used a pair of off-the-shelf CR123A lithium camera batteries, soldered a wire to each end, and then soldered them to the circuit board. Both of his solder joints on one battery had failed. I'll have to take the module out of my other car, and replace the batteries with the right ones, since I'm sure they're also camera batteries. Of course as others have pointed out, these are old cars, and the chances of anyone wanting to steal one (at least the sedan) is probably pretty slim.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I've rebuilt at least four modules...it is NEVER the batteries the problem is bad/dried out capacitors, I will never rebuild another one, nobody steals old Saabs.

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard the same thing. I bought a bunch of capacitors from DigiKey once to do that job on my first 9-5, but at the time my soldering skills weren't so hot. I'd trust myself much more these days to do it correctly. Maybe when I have nothing better to do, I'll give that a shot. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts