SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the fact that you have to lift up on that thing to get the car into reverse has always pissed me off. I was checking the alignment on my shift linkage today and noticed a plastic tab on the right. Surely enough this is what prevents me from just throwing it into reverse. If you lift the plastic shift base out by undoing the three plastic tabs you can rotate it around and just take the tab off. I figured this out after I had broken it unfornately. :roll:

Now you can shift into reverse whenever you want without having to lift up. The only downside is without the tab you don't have something to push against when shifting into 5th as 5th and R don't line up (R is more to the right). All you need is slightly better aim for 5th. You don't have to worry about accidently throwing it in R when downshifting from 5th or up shifting from 3rd as R is waaaaay out in right field. You do still have to put it in R to take the key out though.

X

·
0 Posts
Raven18940 said:
You don't have to worry about accidently throwing it in R when downshifting from 5th or up shifting from 3rd as R is waaaaay out in right field.
Dont you believe it!! When I modded my gear lever I drove my car for 2 days without the lift up reverse mech in place. You hit reverse plenty of times trying to find 5th. Good luck if you are going to leave it like that. Hope you got a good tranny garage locally..:roll:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finn said:
Dont you believe it!! When I modded my gear lever I drove my car for 2 days without the lift up reverse mech in place. You hit reverse plenty of times trying to find 5th. Good luck if you are going to leave it like that. Hope you got a good tranny garage locally..:roll:
Come on, you just don't pull down when it's on the right. I was just zipping around and didn't hit reverse once even when I got lost and couldn't find 5th. Don't know if I want to leave it like this though, 5th can get really hard to find. If you miss the 4-5 up change you pretty much have to go back to 4th and try again. Maybe I could make a gated shifter like a Ferrari or a Lambo.

I'll leave it like this for a week and see what I think.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Finn said:
i agree with Finn on this one. and this is coming from me. :cheesy: the guy who worries a lot.
so it's just an extra thing you push up to go into reverse, that doesn't seem so bad, even if you live in the city. =)

~Mike

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still haven't hit reverse once, but this fishing for 5th thing is getting old. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. ;oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts