SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just purchased a 1988 SPG with 198,000 miles. It needs help and so do I. First off when I am buying new needed parts I want to upgrade if possible. I need a pressure regulator, but have read an upgrade is to buy a 3.0 regulator which helps when you start changing other parts. For me I would like to get to 185 hp or higher without going crazy on the cost. I believe it is a red box, different distributor and different turbo unit and ???

First on my list is get the car to pass California smog, followed by a paint job this winter. AT least I have no rust to deal with as it is an original CA car. Thanks to everyone who shares their thoughts. Jim

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I would start by really thinking about where you're trying to get to, and how much you're expecting to spend. Big numbers are gonna yield a much different approach than small numbers. Probably also worth thinking about your tolerance for goofiness... if you're a perfectionist that's a different challenge than trying to get to daily driver.

'88s are great cars - congrats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I purchased the 3.0 fuel pressure regulator, got it installed and after replacing several rubber grommets by the fuel tank the car passed California smog last week, so now I am off to get my title and plates so it is legal to drive. Next on the list is a paint job. Last week I drove 70 miles and am excited to again experience Saab ownership.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Passing smog on an '88 with 200k suggests it's been pretty well maintained mechanically. That's great news!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts