SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine light has been on for about 2 weeks in which I had it checked out and the shop told me I needed the dreaded DI Cassette = $850 some odd dollars. Obviously I said "no thanks" and ordered a new on that I will put in myself. Unfortunately my the day I ordered it, the car died on my wife. Luckily she was close to home and I could push the car.
The odd thing is when I was pushing it the car ignition was in the "on" position. I started smelling something like electronics were burning. I opened up the hood and smoke was coming off of the DI Cassette. Turning the key to the "off" position seemed to solve the smoking problem. Is this normal for it to do that after the DI dies? I hope I didn't break anything else. Any suggestions??
Thanks...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes the DI can emit that rancid smell when it fails, its not a good thing to breath in either!

Just fit your new one, with a set of new plugs and you should be fine, mke sure the new cassette has stood the correct way up for 30 mins to allow the oil to settle!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Its fair to say the DI is dead when it emits this rancid smell. How on earth can a dealer justify $850 for a DI cassette, he should be wearing a stocking over his head and carrying a gun. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts