SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am new to these forums and i have a question for all you saab geniuses.

I drive a 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3T, Automátic and for some reason, I have had to change the DIC 2 times in the past year and a half. Every time i get a genuine one from europarts the car seems to get a misfire after 2-3 months of having it on. It just recently started doing it again and I just had to ask everyone if there’s any reason the DIC always seems to be the culprit. The spark plugs, fuel rail, and injectors have been replaced, so these having nothing to do with the DIC issue. It’s just im not sure if there’s something in the engine causing it to fail so quickly, or if im just getting really unlucky with these DICs.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome!

New plugs - are they the NGK PFR 6H-10, gapped to .95 mm, specified for the car in the owners manual? The genuine SEM DIC was designed to work specifically with these plugs, which serve as knock detectors (and maybe more). We hear about other types, even reputable brands, causing problems.

Perhaps the integrity of the multi connector to the DIC? Each time you replace, the contacts will be "cleaned" but maybe lose conductivity over time? Thats a wild hunch, by the way. Can't think of anything else.

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the replies!
I did change the spark plugs both times i got the DICs and they were NGK Brand just maybe not the correct ones. The gap on these it says are 1.1mm Could that be the reason it continues to mess with the DIC?

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies!
I did change the spark plugs both times i got the DICs and they were NGK Brand just maybe not the correct ones. The gap on these it says are 1.1mm Could that be the reason it continues to mess with the DIC?
The plugs must be resistor (R in the part code). I doubt that 1.1 mm makes any difference, the DIC should be able to handle it.

What codes were generated requiring the DIC to be replaced? Have you installed those "bad" DICs in another T7 car to see if they work fine there?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
There could be a variety of things going on, rather then throwing any more parts a the car find a Saab shop in your area and have the car scanned with a TECH2 vehicle analyzer, it might cost a few dollars but it will (in most cases) give definitive information and diagnosis.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I am not sold on changing the DIC each time but for sure correct spark plugs are important.
I wasn't saying to change the DIC when you change plugs, that would be crazy. I was saying when you have to replace the DIC, you should change the plugs as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi: I placed heat sinks on my friend's 02 and my 03 and a few years later still ok. The heat sinks are the ones that are on top of desktop computer cpu's ect. I put about 5 of them on top where it gets hottest and they are held on by silicone.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
lol. No, all i needed to do was lower the temperature a little on the DIC so the electronics stay frosty. Guess the fans would make it super cool but haven't tried that route.

If there arent any fans then wouldn't they just heat up to the same underhood temperature as everything else including the DIC?

·
Registered
54 Posts
How heat sinks work are that they remove the heat from the source and dissipate them through the fins. When i was young and had a ford tempo, i had the same problem of the coil crapping out. In a stroke of brilliance i removed the coil from the distributor, placed it above the radiator and put a heat sink on it. Coil never failed after.
There is a reason why computer cpu's and especially the overclocked ones all have heat sinks on them. Even the video cards and motherboards.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I understand how heatsinks work....just an observer's thoughts... heat sinks are air cooled radiators when fresh air is available or is blown upon them by a fan.

Can a heat sink change anything in an under hood environment where the air flow has already been determined/established and it remains unchanged from the original design?

The temperature of everything under the hood eventually reaches it's operating temperature...including the heat sink, right?

I think heat sinks and a hood scoop would be a different story.

Swedes are smart, they would have pondered this. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand how heatsinks work....just an observer's thoughts... heat sinks are air cooled radiators when fresh air is available or is blown upon them by a fan.

Can a heat sink change anything in an under hood environment where the air flow has already been determined/established and it remains unchanged from the original design?

The temperature of everything under the hood eventually reaches it's operating temperature...including the heat sink, right?

I think heat sinks and a hood scoop would be a different story.

Swedes are smart, they would have pondered this. :)
what you do not see is that the motor itself is way hotter than the surrounding environment. The dic is sitting on the valve cover and though the electronics are not directly exposed to the engine and are air cooled, both ends of the dic plates are sitting directly on the engine valve covers so the heat of the engine directly affects the electronics. The electronics were probably designed to withstand so much heat but age and wear and whatever probably resulted in the electronics to fail earlier than the engineers expected.

·
Registered
54 Posts
what you do not see is that the motor itself is way hotter than the surrounding environment. The dic is sitting on the valve cover and though the electronics are not directly exposed to the engine and are air cooled, both ends of the dic plates are sitting directly on the engine valve covers so the heat of the engine directly affects the electronics. The electronics were probably designed to withstand so much heat but age and wear and whatever probably resulted in the electronics to fail earlier than the engineers expected.
You can probably test this theory by measuring the temperature of the center of the dic with and without 4 heat sinks attached to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts