SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3SS 2.0T
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my car has factory 35W xenons (see my profile pic). They're a little dim, and I heard that happens when the reflector behind the bulbs deteriorate. Has anyone faced this? I wanted to replace the bulbs to a 50W system but not sure how to replace the ballast.
Also considered changing the headlight assembly reflectors but not sure where to find replacements.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Aged xenon bulbs are dim. Change them ASAP with Philips or Osram D2S bulbs. Do not use chinese crap.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Higher wattage will just destroy any remaining reflecting coating that much sooner.

The problem could be old bulbs, or poor optics. It's hard to tell if the optics are bad without disassembly, and that is not so easy. The headlights are glued together and not designed to be taken apart.

You can try new quality bulbs.

There are plenty of these cars I see in the junkyards around here with decent-looking HID headlights. Alas, my car uses halogen.

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3SS 2.0T
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aged xenon bulbs are dim. Change them ASAP with Philips or Osram D2S bulbs. Do not use chinese crap.
Just bought some new Philips ones. Payed a pretty penny... will see if they improve things.

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3SS 2.0T
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hids either dim or colour shift near end of life..
That’s what I thought too, will return if things don’t improve. Honestly I think they might because they look a little green right now and the new ones are whiter, perhaps not because they are old

Edit: I googled and it seems a lot of people think Xenons dim with age.

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3SS 2.0T
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
Hated the Phillips bulbs I linked above. Way too yellow, the ones I have now are a cool color. Also only marginally brighter. Going to polish my headlights and see if that helps brighten things. They are slightly foggy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts