SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all on my 88 900 T my headlights seem to be a little dim, driving at night with lights,radio,heat/ac I am still getting 13.5 volts thats good I think so what can be done to make them brighter? new glasses? drive in daylight hours? are the brighter bulbs safe? thanks!! John aka baddog57

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Don't be tempted to put in rally-style 100w bulbs, which aren't legal in many places . They tend to melt things, particularly the headlamp connectors, and they aren't much brighter, if at all. Better to invest in some standard wattage super-bright headlamp bulbs like this; http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/212937/make_light_of_winter.html and they do work well. Also make sure all your connections are as clean as possible. Check the connections on the headlight relay too in the fuse box. And if you want even more light, invest in some good quality extra driving lights.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
I just coughed up nearly $400 for two new Headlamp assemblies for my wife's car. The Reflectors and Lenses had deteriorated after 15+ years. Brighter bulbs won't cure that.
You probably have the same problem.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I just coughed up nearly $400 for two new Headlamp assemblies for my wife's car. The Reflectors and Lenses had deteriorated after 15+ years. Brighter bulbs won't cure that.
You probably have the same problem.
That occurred to me. Couldn't get new ones in the UK, so I had mine replated for 1/3 of that. Good as new. But you can tell if the reflectors are shot just by looking at them.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
if you look at the reflectors through the glass and you can see a 'yellowing' that's the plastic underneath and it means they are past there best, a quick 'aid' if you are short for cash(replating)or temp improvement is to get some 3 or 4" wide plumbers chrome tape and stick yourself a new lining in, will improve your night driving view

·
Registered
689 Posts
In the UK a chap called Steve Lewis is selling new reflectors for less than £50! see uksaabs.
Sorely tempted but too many other things to spend money on at the moment. :nono;

·
Registered
150 Posts
Really? :(

I was just about to go the garage and try to take them apart. My headlamps are on there way out, and i need a way to revitalize them without spending the $$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I am having same issue. Extremely dim headlights, especially on driver side. I replaced bulb with new "brighter" version but doesn't seem any brighter at all. Could this be an electrical issue, or is it most likely worn reflectors. I'm not familiar with this at all. Any direction in best way to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.
Steve
'88 900 T convertible

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
If the bulbs themselves look yellowish, or if one bulb looks more yellow than the other, then you have a power feed or ground issue. You would need to measure voltage seen by the lamps when they are actually lit. I'm not sure how that is possible with the headlight connectors on your car. Also be careful not to touch the lamp, because it can be really hot. And wear eye protection in case it shatters.

Also, are the lights likewise dim and yellow on high beam? If high beam is okay, then I'd suspect voltage feed. If high beams are similarly dim, then I'd suspect grounding issue.

If it's a bad ground or corroded wiring, the voltage may look fine with no current draw (no bulb). That's why the measurement should be with the bulb lit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the bulbs themselves look yellowish, or if one bulb looks more yellow than the other, then you have a power feed or ground issue. You would need to measure voltage seen by the lamps when they are actually lit. I'm not sure how that is possible with the headlight connectors on your car. Also be careful not to touch the lamp, because it can be really hot. And wear eye protection in case it shatters.

Also, are the lights likewise dim and yellow on high beam? If high beam is okay, then I'd suspect voltage feed. If high beams are similarly dim, then I'd suspect grounding issue.

If it's a bad ground or corroded wiring, the voltage may look fine with no current draw (no bulb). That's why the measurement should be with the bulb lit.
I believe high beams are also dim but will check again to be sure. No yellowing was visible of bulb itself. May have some electrical issue though bc it seems sometimes my instrument panel light works but most of the time it’s dark. I guess I need to get behind that left dash speaker to troubleshoot that next...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts